Chapter 40 - Home

Stefan was awfully quiet during the car ride back home. He stared blankly out the window, avoiding talking to Kara.

It hurt her a bit but she didn't care. As long as she could be with him, she would endure it.

"Aer you okay?" she asked, placing her hand on his thigh but released it quickly when he tensed.

"If okay means I got the rest of my life married to a witch then yes I am okay." He replied bitterly.

"Stefan...." She called his name softly. "Look, I am sorry we got stuck together. I'll do my best to give you space okay? I am just trying to help. This is doctor's order..."

He ignored her and his eyes went back scanning the side of the road as if it was the most fascinating view in the world.

"Did I happen to transfer you the share?" He finally opened a conversation with a topic that Kara didn't really want to talk about.

"Yes."

He sighed, "wow...." His eyes now following a red car from the opposite direction. "You are truly a witch."

"I have returned it to you though." Her statement pulled his attention back to her.

"Why?" he looked stunned and his hatred toward her slightly vaporised into the thin air.

"Let's just say we had an agreement."

"On what?"

"I can't tell you now.... You are..."

"I am not ready, I know..." he shrugged. "How's our marriage life? Were we happy?"

"It's complicated...."

He snorted, of course it did. Everything connected to this witch was complicated. Why didn't he surprise about it. "Did I treat you well?"

"Yes." This time she answered without even thinking.

"Honestly?"

"Stefan, you were the best husband...." She took a glance at him, "not that I had ever been married before you. But you care about me."

He stared at her, waiting for her laugh but her face stayed serious.

"I am worry about AngeloGen." He changed the topic.

"What? Why?"

"I've been absent for weeks."

"Stefan...." She sighed, "I've been absent for weeks too. Don't worry about anything. Last time I checked your people took care of everything."

"You've checked? What do you mean?"

"You know when I wasn't at the hospital I went to my office and I visited yours too just too just to make sure everything run smoothly." She replied.

"You did?"

"Of course I did. Leah had been helping me a lot."

"Leah? You know Leah?"

"Of course I know Leah. I am her boss' wife, remember?" she laughed.

Everyone he trusted knew Kara and liked her more than he did, it irritated him a little.

"And oh... We, um... I meant you, just won a new tender." She said happily with no slight of jealousy or hatred there like he expected her to have. It was part of her demand that he had to step away from every major tender and now she said he had won it? Did she mean she helped him win it?

Kara Singleton, the witch that stole his company. She ended up return it to him, she had helped him run it and became his wife?

He found her to be useful after all.