Chapter 12 - Absolute Mess

Charity gala, the only event that Kara tried her hardest to avoid any chance possible, she'd rather sent the donation straight to the organiser and not attending the party and she was usually succeeded though but not today. Grandpa pushed Kara to accompany him and she knew perfectly why.

The gala was meant for rich and powerful people to hang out and showed off their wealth and there wouldn't be a better place to find her a man than this event.

Holding her sigh, Kara lifted up her gown slightly when she stepped down the stairs, followed her Grandpa's lead to greet the VIP guests. Mostly his business partners and some were politicians including the Lord Mayor of the city, grandpa's close friend and the one that needed Kara's support for the next election.

Everything was as the usual, the boring fake greeting and enthusiasm, the formality, the over the top friendliness. She groaned inwardly and boosted her patient to proceed with the procedure and once she got the chance, slyly she excused herself to walk away from them.

Kara strolled to the west side of the building, avoiding the crowd and tried not making any eye contact with anyone. She wasn't in the mood of socialising tonight. In fact she had never been in the mood of socialising. She was a loner to start with.

She took a glass of champagne from a waitress who walked pass her then went to the balcony.

Thank god the space was empty. She leaned forward checking the ground, watching people down below mingle around the swimming pool area.

Her eyes suddenly caught a familiar figure in the crowd. Gallant as usual and very charming, Stefan in his tux talking and laughing with a group of women.

A brunette in yellow dress clung decoratively on his arm with a champagne glass in her hand. She looked like she was under his spell, staring affectionately toward Stefan and listened to every word that came out from his mouth. Not only that, occasionally she would brush imaginary lint from his shoulder as if she didn't want him to have a flaw.

Kara Snorted and shifting her eyes somewhere else. Somehow that view bothered her a bit.

Since that night when she cried in his arms she had been avoiding him like a plaque. He came into her office once and she told him she didn't remember anything and thanked god he was buying it.

She was a bit confused though why didn't he steal the research back and it annoyed her like crazy.

Their relationship was kind of weird. She liked Stefan, she couldn't deny it. She supposed to hate him but she couldn't, she had tried but she had failed miserably despite of this hate seed that Grandpa had planted in her mind since she was a baby.

She grew up being fed that Angelopoulos couldn't be trusted and there was no wrong doing for hurting them back because they were the one starting all those war in the past.

What war? She didn't know and everytime she asked her grandpa, he always brushed her off.

"Good evening Miss Singleton." A voice called her from behind and when Kara turned her head around she was greeted by the brightest smile on the entire floor.

"Jeffrey. Good evening." She returned his smile.

"You look gorgeous today Sweetheart."

"Thank you Jeffrey, so do you." She gave him her cheek so he could kiss her.

"Enjoy the party?" he asked and extended his hand for Kara to take it.

"Yes thank you. Beautiful venue, nice food and best host ever." Kara grinned praising Jeffrey Brice, the Lord Mayor's son who she had been dating for a while.