Chapter 31

Fourteen Months Later

"Alrighty, who can tell me the main themes of To Kill A Mockingbird?" I ask, sitting on my desk at the front of the class.

Thirty or so kids look up at me with blank faces and I roll my eyes, "Come on guys, you all should have read your handouts. I'm not cutting down half a rainforest just so these can get covered in red bull, gum and whatever the hell else you guys have in your bag." I say and the class chuckles.

One girl at the back of the class raises her hand timidly, "Yes Tiffany?" I ask, looking right at her.

"Would morality be one?" She asks and I let out a relieved breath, "Thank you Tiffany, yes it is!" I say before turning to the other students.

"Now who can tell me the character that this trait is most associated with?" I ask and a boy raises his hand, "Yes Michael?"

"Atticus?" He asks timidly and I smile brightly at him, "You hit the nail on the head right there Michael!"

Suddenly the bell rings and the students begin to get up from their seat, "Alrighty, your book report is due in on Monday. I don't want to have to give anyone detention for not handing it in because their Mom 'vacuumed' it up. I am looking at you Christopher." I say and a collective laugh comes from the class as they leave the room.

I turn back to my desk and begin to wipe the board off when I look up at the clock. The times reads 12:30pm and I let out a delighted sequel as I quickly grab my things and sprint to my staff room. I rush to my desk past Carla and she chuckles, "Time to go?"

I drop the things on the table and grab my bag and keys, "It sure is."

I turn and make my way past her, "See you Carla and thanks again for covering for me!"

"Bye Emily and you're welcome!" She calls back down the hall way.

I walk as fast as I can to my car and toss my bag onto the seat and quickly turn on the car, making my way out of the parking lot. I quickly drive down the streets of Charming towards the clubhouse, my heart pounding wildly in my chest. I shiver in excitement as I pull into the lot and park the car, not even bothering to lock it as I walk away.

A few people are gathered around out the front and I see Piney walk out of the clubhouse and I walk over to him, "Hey old man." I say, leaning up on my toes and placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Hello Darling." He says and I hear the sound of crying coming from towards the door.

I look over to see Tara walk out with Thomas in her arms and she looks up at me, "He's been fussy for the past half hour!" She says, walking over to me.

I hold my arms out and take my son in my hands, "He's just anxious like the rest of us." I say and he calms down immediately when in my arms.

"Mommy!"

I look over towards the office door and see Abel running over to me. I kneel down and he slams into my side, "Hello my beautiful boy!" I say and he leans up to place a kiss on my lips.

"You have fun today with Neeta and Grandma?" I ask, looking up to see Gemma smiling at us as she walks over.

He nods his head and Piney lifts him up into his arms and I get to my feet. Gemma comes and stands beside while Tara and Piney play with Abel, "I'm proud of you. Ain't easy making things work while there inside. You've done great."

I smile up at her, "I couldn't have done it without you."

She shakes her head, "It wasn't just me, it was the whole club."