Chapter 4

I wake up to the feel of the sun on my skin, warming me up nicely. I open my eyes and am confused by my surroundings for a moment before I remember where I am. I sit up and rub my eyes and let out a yawn. I toss the covers back and climb out of bed, making my way out into the hallway. I hear voices as I walk down the hall and as I enter the kitchen, I see Clay and Gemma sitting at the table eating breakfast.

"Mornin' baby, want some breakfast?" Gemma asks, gesturing to her bacon and eggs.

"Um, not right now thank you." I say, taking a seat beside Clay at the table.

"Long night?" He asks, putting his paper down.

I let out a yawn, "Yeah but it was good."

"How's the hangover?" Gemma asks and I chuckle, "I only had three beers so I was good. Though I'd hate to see Bobby and Tig this morning." I say, remembering how much they had to drink last night.

"Dear lord, I hope the place isn't trashed." Gemma sighs, eating some more of her breakfast.

"Nah, Kip kept it pretty clean. I like him." I say, reaching over and grabbing some toast from Clay's plate.

"Thought you said you weren't hungry?" He says, raising his eyebrow.

"I lied." I say, taking a bite.

He scoffs and shakes his head, looking back at the paper. I turn and see Gemma smiling at me before giving me a wink. She turns to her food once more and Clay  speaks to me, "So are you going with Gemma to meet Abel today?" He asks, his eyes not lifted from the paper.

I freeze in taking a bite of my toast and I see Gemma looking up at him with a frustrated look. Clay lowers his paper and looks between me and Gemma. Gemma shakes her head and turns to me, "Only if you want to baby, no pressure." She says kindly.

I shake my head, "No it's fine, I'd love to meet him." I lie.

"You sure?" She asks and I feel both of their eyes on me.

I nod my head quickly, "I'm sure. I'll go get ready." I say, getting up quickly from the table and walking away to my room.

As I walk down the hall I hear Gemma begin to scold Clay but I ignore them, getting ready for the day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sit in Gemma's car as we make our way to the hospital. I sit nervously in the car, my fingers twisting together in my lap. The car is silent, neither one of us saying anything. We pull up in the hospital's parking lot and make our way up to the paediatrics floor. With every step we take I become more nervous and I wonder if I'm actually ready for this.

Gemma greets some nurses as we go and I realise she must come here often. Soon enough we stop out front of a door to a small room. The blinds to the room are open and I see an incubator placed in the centre of the room. Beside the incubator is a rocking chair, as well as a few others placed to the side of the room. Gemma walks into the room and hesitantly I follow her in, shutting the door behind me.

I look into the incubator and see the small child, his little chest moving up and down in a steady rhythm. Gemma walks over to the incubator and reaches her hand in through the hole in the side, "Hello little man, how're you today?" She asks, her fingers gently running over the little boy's face.

As I watch them interact, I can't help but think of unwanted memories that I have kept hidden for so long. I push them away and keep a hold of my emotions, only just realising how hard this will be for me. Gemma looks up at me with a motherly look, "You alright baby?" She asks.