Chapter 14

Three Weeks Later
I pull up out front of my house and turn the engine off of my loaned car off. Wayne totalled the other car and I don't have enough money to buy a new one. Gemma offered to buy me a new one but I refused, wanting to pay for it myself. So instead she loaned a car for me while I look around for a new one. I grab my purse and papers from the car and get out, making my way to the front door. As I pull out my keys I hear the sound of a car pulling up and I turn to see Tara pull up in the driveway.

I unlock the door and walk inside, leaving it open for her to come in. I walk down the hall and into the kitchen, hearing the front door shut behind her. I hear her footsteps as I kick off my heels and dump the papers onto the table. I turn around and see her looking at me.

"What's up Doc?" I ask, wondering why she's here.

She holds up a plastic bag with a sample cup inside, "HIV Test, you're over due."

I sigh and shake my head, walking over and taking it from her. I walk towards the bathroom and quickly do it, wanting to get it over and done with. I seal the cup and walk back out to Tara, holding the cup out to her, "My pee."

She chuckles and takes it off of me when I hear a bike pull up out front. Both of our eyes widen as we look at each other, "What is he doing here?" She asks, her voice slightly panicked.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair, "He's been coming around a lot since the accident, checking up on me."

"I didn't know he did that." She says, her tone clipped.

I roll my eyes, "There's nothing to worry about, clearly he's chosen you." I say.

The same old tension that's been between us over the years rears its ugly head. I hear the doorbell ring and I turn to her, "I'll handle it, you just hide that." I say, pointing to my urine sample.

I turn and walk down the hallway towards the front door. I open it up and Jax looks at me confused, "Hey." I say.

"Is that Tara's car out front?" He asks and I turn and walk down the hall, "Yeah."

"Why is she here?" He asks, following me.

I walk into the lounge room and she stands there, her face composed, "I was just checking up on her, seeing if everything's healed."

"I thought you said you were alright?" Jax says, looking at me in concern.

"I am, the Doc can't seem to wrap it around her head." I say, turning to Tara and giving her a look to go along with it.

She looks at me for a moment before narrowing her eyes on cue, "Well you know me, I always make sure I do a thorough job." She says perfectly.

I cross my arms and roll my eyes, looking away from her. Jax looks between the two of us confused and Tara turns to him, "Well I guess I'll see you later tonight?"

He shakes his head, "No, I can't I got a wrap party at Cara Cara tonight."

"Well can I come?" She asks, batting her eyelashes.

"I don't think that that's a good idea babe." He says and I see her instantly become angry.

I realise how uncomfortable I am but I can't walk away. She glares at him before stalking over to the couch and grabbing her purse. She exchanges a look with me before storming out of the house, slamming the door behind her. I bite back a laugh and I turn to see Jax looking at me confused.

I stifle a chuckle, "Wow, you're in big trouble."

"I'm always in trouble." He says, sitting down on the lounge.