Chapter 7

We walk through the hospital until we reach the elevator, Jax pressing the button to Abel's floor. We wait patiently for the elevator and it opens moments later, both of us stepping inside. The doors close and we begin our ascent towards the paediatrics floor. It's just the two of us in the elevator and the memory from before comes back to mind. The elevator fills with tension and I glance up to see Jax looking down at me too.

The elevator stops and the door opens, and Jax holds his hand out to me, "Shall we?" He asks.

I smile and place my hand in his, electricity running up my arm, "Let's go V.P."

We walk down the corridor, my hand tingling the whole time in his. We walk past the nurses station and they greet a hello, both of us greeting back. We reach Abel's room and we walk in, me closing the door behind us. He lets go of my hand and walks over to the incubator, staring down at the small child.

"Hey there, little man. How're you?" He asks, his hands reaching into the incubator.

I smile at the sight of them and I can't help but feel a longing in my chest at what could have been if things had turned out differently between us. I lean against the door and stare at them and I can't help but wonder how differently things would have been if everything had of gone the way it had. Maybe we would be married and in our own home with our own child instead of...

I shake my head not wanting to go there, knowing it will cause too much pain. Jax looks up and smiles at me, "You coming over?" He asks.

I smile and make my way to the other side of the incubator, placing my hand inside. I gently run my fingertip over Abel's face and I feel my heart ache in my chest. I feel the tears begin to well up inside when I hear a phone begin to ring, a vibration in my back pocket. I with draw my hand and grab my phone, seeing the caller ID.

"I have to take this." I apologise.

"Go ahead." He smiles.

I smile back and answer the phone, making my way out of the room, "Emily Carter's phone."

"Hello Emily it's Belinda, how're you?" The principal asks.

I walk around the corner of the hallway and make my way down the hall, "I'm good and how're you?"

"I'm fine thank you. I've just called to see when you will be coming back to work?" She asks and I bite my lip.

"I'm not sure at this point in time Belinda, I've got a lot on my plate here at the moment." I say, trying to sound convincing.

"That is fine Emily, take as much time as you need. I hope everything is alright?" She asks, concern in her voice.

"Everything is fine Belinda, I just need a few more days." I explain, hoping to get her off of my back.

"That's fine, we'll see you when you get back. Goodbye Emily." She says.

"Goodbye Belinda." I say, hanging up the phone.

I sigh down at the phone before putting it back in my pocket and making my way back to Abel's room. I'm looking down at my feet as I round the corner and I slam into someone's chest.

"Oh god, I'm sorry." I say looking up.

"Well, well, well if it isn't little miss Carter, the Darling of Charming." The man smiles.

"Wayne!" I cry out, throwing my arms around his neck.

He chuckles and holds me back, "I heard you were back in town, but I haven't had the chance to see you! How have you been?" He asks, pulling back to look at me.