42. Forgiving is Difficult

Calliope Jane Edwards

The Crystal blue eyes of my nephew would be something all the girls of his generation would fall for. He lay in my arms without a cry and I could stare at him all day.

Kathleen and Evan have been in the hospital for a week and they are coming home today. Well, not home exactly. Once Evan turns a month old or so they will fly back to Ireland, the land he was supposed to be born.

I was going to stroke Evan's brown baby hair when my phone started to ring. The expression of Evan's face changed, he was going to cry.

"Oh no no, Aunt Callie will get that noise away!" I quickly get up and hand him to Kathy. He was crying, stupid phone call.

I walk out of the room and stand in the hallway, I pulled my phone out and I got a little pissed at the caller id. My sister found my phone the other day and charged it. I wish she never found it. I accept the call and waited to hear the speaker.

"Calliope, hello."

"Hello, Mr. Jackson." I answer.

"I know I'm probably the last person you would want to speak to right now." he says. "Not really, your son might be the last one." I retort a little.

"My answer would be the same if I were you." I heard him say. There was silence between us and the conversation would turn weird if one of us did not start the conversation.

"Mr. Jackson, may I know the reason for this call?" I ask.

"I needed a word with you in person. Please do not deny it Calliope. What my son did was not right and I just need to apologise in person." he pleads.

Should I? I mean he had nothing to do with Jacob's act.

"When should I come to see you?"

"Tomorrow around noon" he answers.

"I'll be there." I say and end the call.

I walk back into the room and Kathy was nursing Evan. I went back on to the couch and sat there wondering what were to happen tomorrow. Mr. Jackson wouldn't simply call me for an apology.

----

Driving to a place I used to come to meet my love was depressing however I drove to the place for a father who knew nothing of his son's act. I parked my car in an empty parking spot, I grab my purse and locked the car. I walked up to the entrance and the doorman remembered me and greeted me with a warm smile, I greet him in return.

"Welcome to Jackson's Co. How may I help you today?" The girl at the reception asks me. "I'm here to see Mr. David Jackson. I have an appointment with him this afternoon." The girl was new, she nodded her head and checked her system. "Right, he is-" "It's alright, I know the way." I interrupt her. "Afternoon Fiona." I greet the other lady at the desk, she responded with a smile.

I took the elevator and looked at myself in the mirror. I did not look like a person who just got cheated on, I looked quite normal. I walked out of the elevator when the door opened. I greeted Rita, Mr. Jackson's secretary and she informed me that Mr. Jackson was waiting for my arrival.

While walking to Mr. Jackson's room, I bumbed into someone. "I'm so sorry." I apologise quickly and walk past them when I heard my name being called. The voice which I hate hear now.

I turn around and there he was, the man who was supposed to be my husband. He looked like he's been crying for days and was forced to come to work today.

"Calliope what are you doing here?" he asks me as he walked a little closer to me. I take a step back, took a deep breathe and looked up at him. "I'm here to see Mr. Jackson." I reply.