27. Surprised Disappointments

Calliope Jane Edwards

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I reached out to my phone, stopped the alarm and snuggled my head into the pillow. I couldn't sleep all night because of the thunder and lightning and the heavy rain. By the time I got my sleep, the alarm had to ring.

I tried to enjoy the peace I was in until I heard the door open and someone shaking me so that I wake up.

"Go away." I mumble.

"Callie it's morning." I heard my sister tell me. "I know. I need to sleep Dani." I mumble again.

"You don't understand. It's Thursday and today is mum's birthday!" She exclaimed.

Now, that's why I had a little sleep. I set the alarm early!

"Will you get up and meet me downstairs without waking mum up?" I heard her ask.

"I'm awake." I show her a thumbs up with my right hand. I heard her sigh and then soon heard the door close.

I slowly got up and sat on the bed. The sun wasn't out and highly doubt if it will even come out today. I rubbed my eyes and got up from the bed and walked to the bathroom to freshen up.

I dressed into a jumper along with some sweat pants. I put my hair into a ponytail. I looked at my reflection on the mirror, I let out a quick sigh and then walked out of the room.

I walked across towards the stairs very carefully so that I made no noise to wake my mum up. I went down the stairs carefully and then walked into the kitchen. Dani was already mixing a bowl of batter. I reached for my apron and tied it around me.

I walked to the workstation and pulled out a bowl and gathered all the ingredients I needed to make my mother a perfect cake.

We exchanged no words in the time we were in the kitchen, we continued to concentrate on the cooking. That is breakfast for seven people.

Thirty minutes to seven, I finished my cake and it's decoration.I placed the cake in the chiller and then helped Dani in preparing the rest of the breakfast. Then we set the dining table with plates, glasses, cups and spoons, forks and knives. We left the kitchen neat, leaving the food we cooked, covered by the cooking range.

Mum usually came down to the kitchen around quarter past seven. We just had enough time to run up and get into our rooms. Well, we were almost close because I had to get into Dani's room because we saw mum's bedroom door open.

"I hope she'll be pleased with it." Dani whispered.

"I'm sure she will. Where did you put the presents?" I asked her. Dani nodded her head and went to get the gifts we got for mum.

We waited patiently for mum to yell out both our names.

And soon she did.

"CALLIOPE! DANI! COME DOWN HERE!" Dani and I looked at each other and exchanged a quick smile before we opened the door to head down.

We held the gift behind us as we walked again down the stairs. We slowly walked into the kitchen and we saw our mum standing there surprised.

"What's the matter mum?" I ask as she noticed us standing there.

"What's all this?" she showed us the food we had covered and kept. "I don't know. I just came down when you called." Dani innocently answers. Mum looks at me and waited for my answer.

"Same as her's. I couldn't sleep much last night because of the thunder." I reply

A smile crept on her face which forced us to give up our act.