Why Do I Get My Hopes Up? Oh Yeah, To Have Them Crushed.

"Marcelene Harris if you are in the building please report to the front office." The shrill voice of one of the office ladies demanded over the intercom.

"Ugh what now? I haven't done anything bad for at least two weeks!" I threw my hands up in exasperation and looked at my best friend as if she knew the answer.

School didn't start for another twenty minutes so I could be as loud as I pleased. I watched Brianna squirm, twirling a piece of blonde hair in her fingers, as I glared in her direction. 

"Um, maybe your family won the lottery and their coming to pick you up for an early vacation?" She grinned sheepishly.

I let out a throaty laugh as I leaned back onto the blue locker. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why she's my bestfmriend. Even the dumbest things she says make me laugh. I can count on her to cheer me up no matter what.

"Mhm, right. And I'm Buddah reincarnated." I winked at her peering through my sleek auburn bangs.

"Well then in that case I'm afraid that all Buddhist have a one way ticket to hell." Her face looked grave throughout her whole sentence, like someone just killed her dog.

I laughed again.

"Whatever, well I'm gonna go to the bathroom before heading to the office. Come with?" I asked even though I already knew her answer. Our other friends didn't come until about five minutes before school started. One day they're going to regret getting here so late, the early bird gets the worm after all.

"Do I have a choice?" She asked back.

"No not really." I called over my shoulder. I already started walking towards the bathroom.

I could practically feel her roll her eyes as she stomped her feet to catch up.

After I used the bathroom I found myself peering into the mirror, my mind going a mile a minute. I leaned in closer staring into my light brown eyes that had tiny golden flakes in them. Whenever it rained or there was overcast but still a bit of sun my eyes would turn the prettiest gold color. People always asked me if I wore contacts. Honestly I think that's the one and only thing I found worth staring at that was apart of me.

But I have to admit I'm proud of my nose too it was obvious that it belonged to someone African American but it wasn't wide, and when you looked at it from the side it kind of turned upward, but not in a pig way. 

Oh and my hair, I really do consider that a blessing, the Native American in me has done great things for it. It was straight and grew out past my shoulders all the way to my lower back. My real hair color is black but I dyed it auburn, I think it brings out my eyes. I didn't bother dying my eyebrows though since 'lighter hair color and bold eyebrows' look is in. 

After fixing my bang and moving pieces that started bothering my eyes I stared at my arm. I was a slightly golden light brown color, kind of like Beyonce was in her music video Deja Vu but a bit lighter than that. 

"Marcelene Harris if you are in the building please report to the front office." The intercom went off again stopping my examination.

"So do you know why your getting called down to the office?" Brianna asked turning to look at a homecoming poster.

"I really don't know." I finished with a lame shrug.

She didn't bother asking anymore questions as we made our way to the office. When we got there we both walked up to the front desk.

The middle aged woman that sat there gave me a bored look as her eyes turned to mine. We stared at each other for a while until I realized that she wasn't going to say anything. I heard Brianna try and cover a laugh with a cough. She was clearly enjoying this akward situation.