Acceptance.

By the end of tea the two of them were laughing and talking like good friends, watching them get along filled me with joy as I had been so nervous over this meeting and very worried after Dad's initial rejection. Thinking about it I couldn't really blame Dad for thinking that way, even I had moments when I felt that me and Brian being a couple was wrong but when I'm with Brian it feels so right. All in all I think the night had been a success.
"I'm glad that Riley has found someone who really cares for her" Dad said when it came time for Brian to leave.
"Thank you Sean, it means so much that you gave us a chance to explain everything" Brian nodded.
"It's clear that you both have strong feelings for one another, fate or not it isn't my place to come between you two" Dad said.
"I'm glad you think so Dad" I smiled as Brian held my hand.
"Well I should get going. I'll be seeing you tomorrow for Luke's tutoring" Brian said. He kissed me quickly and left.
"That was a big surprise, I would never have expected Mr Raux to be your boyfriend but it does explain your reaction when Tania called him cute" Dad noted.
I gave a slight laugh "We were so scared to tell you".
"Now I can see why. But after hearing about how you two met and then talking to him I am glad I gave it a chance. He's a good kid- uh guy. I'm happy that you're with someone good who cares for you. Brian looks at you the same way I looked at your Mother" Dad smiled.
That meant so much to hear. My Mother was the love of Dad's life and I know why, she was the most caring person anyone would meet. She was so good at putting on a happy act that no one suspected the underlining depression she had since she was a child. Eventually it ate her up inside and one day when Dad and I arrived home from a birthday party we found lying on the floor close to death. She had taken a bunch of pills and the paramedics couldn't save her. That was 12 years ago and Dad still wore his wedding ring, he's never been in a relationship since.