Chapter 2

Daniel's POV

The scent of the house was overpowering. It smelled like a mixture of cigarette smoke, vodka, and cheap cologne. I'm not sure how anyone can stand the odor, but I seem to be the only one who is really affected by it.

"Daniel? What the hell is wrong with you?" Hope asks, a look of confusion on her face.

"Nothing, what are you on about?" I reply.

"You look like you drank sour milk." She yells over the loud music, obviously amused.

"It stinks in here!" I exclaim, plugging my nose for dramatic affect.

She giggles beside me and yanks my arm, dragging me into a large room and sitting down on a couch with me. The music isn't as loud in here and just a small group of people sit in the corner.

"Okay, before we get this party started, let's go over some things," She says, looking me in the eyes.

"Ugh, like what?" I whine, resting my head in the palm of my hand.

"Don't use that tone with me!" She scolds before smiling sweetly at me. "You can't be moping around like a little baby the entire time, okay? People will think you're lame."

I chuckle at how blunt she is and she continues.

"Whatever you do, don't play truth or dare." She informs me and I nod. I'm kind of new to this whole 'party' thing. I'd rather be reading a thick novel and drinking tea.

"Okay, well, other than that, stay safe. Don't go home with some random guy, either." She finishes and I snort.

"Um honey, I think you've forgotten who I am. Daniel Preda, your best friend, oh and virgin." I remark sarcastically, looking around to make sure nobody heard me.

"Right. Sorry, Danny. I'm going to get a drink, do you want something?" She asks, standing up. I shake my head. She begins walking away but I stop her.

"I thought I said no leaving me alone?" I say, and she shrugs.

"Come on, Daniel. I'll be back in a couple minutes." She whines, causing me to sigh and wave her off.

Here I sit, alone. On a beer stained couch that smells of cigarette smoke. How fun. I see someone out of the corner of my eye, walking towards me. I assume it's Hope, so I just continue to stare at the floor.

"Hey," I hear an unfamiliar voice say from above me. I look up to find a guy a little older than me, tall, but not nearly as tall as me, looking down at me with kind eyes.

"Um, hi." I reply awkwardly.

"I noticed you were sitting here alone, just wanted to know if you wanted to play truth or dare with us." He asks, and Hope's words come into my mind.

"No, thanks." I answer, but he continues to stand there.

"I'm Shane, by the way. Are you sure you don't want to play?" He asks again, and I sigh. Hope still isn't back, maybe it wouldn't hurt to play? Just until she gets back.

"Yeah, I'll play."

(a/n: everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days..everybody knows what, what I'm talking 'bout. Everybody gets that way.)