Chapter 05: Double Trouble?

Start from the beginning

Doctor Scarlett Rose takes her glasses off her face again, placing them on top of her head. She quickly washes her hands under the tap and sits back down on the seat, facing us.

With a warm smile she speaks. "Well Lacey it looks like you are pregnant." She informs me.

When the words leave her mouth, I let out a gasp, placing my hand in front of my mouth to try and stop the gasps escaping it.

"What now?" I blurt out, taking the hand away from my mouth.

"Well we can discuss other options if you don't want the child. You can abort the child or give it up for adoption if you would like to." She says to me with a blank expression.

My hand goes towards my stomach, rubbing my tummy. I silently say inside my head "we are keeping you baby."

I don't want to put my baby up for adoption and I don't want to abort it either. I want to keep it.

"I would like to keep it if you are happy to Lace." Toby whispers, holding my hand.

"I do too. I want to keep it as well." I say to him, looking at Toby. I give him a smile he returns it.

"Okay go to the seat over there, lie down and pull your top up." The doctor orders me, opening one of her drawers. She gets out two plastic gloves, placing them over her hands. I walk over to the chair and lie down on the hard cold materiel.

"You can come here too young man. What's your name as I don't want to call you young man. It makes me feel old." She says chuckling.

"Toby." He answers, he walks over to where I am and stands next to the bed, holding my hand.

With my free hand I pull my top up, exposing my bare white stomach.

"Now Lacey, I am going to put lubricating gel on your stomach. It may feel cold however, this gel will allow us to examine the heart of the unborn child. Today you are going to have an external ultrasound scan." She finishes, placing the cold gel liquid across my abdominal area. The liquid tingles against my bare stomach. I close my eyes as the liquid goes on my stomach.

"Now I will put the probe across your stomach which will move smoothly due to having the liquid on first. We are going to see the babies heart beat." She gleams.

I smile at her and look towards Toby who is also smiling. As she places the probe across the stomach, it feel weird on my stomach but I don't really care. Suddenly, two small little figures lights the screen up which is connected to the probe that Scarlett is using. My smile grows bigger and so does Toby.

That is mine and Toby's baby on the screen. I am lost for words.

"It looks like your babies are healthy with an healthy heart beat. Your due date is around May time next year as the babies are only a couple of weeks old." She tells us, taking the probe off my stomach.

Wait babies?

"Babies?" I choke out, still lost for words. I open up my mouth, forming an 'O' shape with my mouth.

"Yes Lacey, congratulations you are having twins." She says, passing me tissue as a tear leaks from my eyes.

{#}

Once I and Toby got over the fact that we are having twins, I cleaned the liquid off my stomach and place my top back down. Sitting back down with Tony by my side.

Happy that he has come with me as I could not have done this by myself.

"So at the moment you are in your first trimester. You need to try and eat fibre-riched food as you may experience constipation because your hormones relax and they may slow down the muscles in your digestive system and bowels. Eating fruit helps and make sure you drink a lot in the day. Adding onto this, try not to have caffeine and fatty foods as you may experience heartburn." She says looking at us to see if we have taken in the information which me and Toby nod.

"You can take folic acid until at least the twelve week; you can take four hundred micrograms a day. This helps the development of your baby's brain and spinal cord. It also can prevent spina bifida too. Because you don't have a heart condition, you don't have to take any more." She continues which I just nod. I am getting lost with all the words she is saying. But I don't want to say anything as I don't want to look stupid.

"Don't worry about taking it all in now. I will give you leaflets about this. Try not to smoke; well if you do try to quit as it will protect your babies from different health problems. This will help the babies after they are born. It will affect the babies chance of getting asthma or colic. If you want to drink alcohol which you are not allowed to then you can limit yourself to one to two units a week. However, I suggest you don't drink in the first three months anyway." She finishes with a knowing look as we aren't allowed to drink.

"Okay I can't believe I am having twins." I squeal, receiving the picture of the twins and the leaflets from Scarlett.

Hey guys, end of chapter five. This chapter is quite detailed with a lot to take in. I didn't know about all of theses things so I had to do research.

Anyway how are you lot?

Teaser -> School.

Questions:

1. Did you think she was pregnant?

2. Did you think she would have twins?

3. Where do you want this book to go?

Anyway I will see you next time. Bye

But don't forgot to vote, comment and fan.

<Milly>