When I turned my head to face Lux, I found him already staring at me. His stare put me under some kind of spell and the tension between us was palpable. I broke away from the staring contest first. It wasn’t awkward it was just... uncomfortable. This boy made me feel vulnerable to say the least.

Since he wasn’t saying anything I began to worry that he may not remember me so I started “Umm... I’m Mia, I’m not sure if you remembe-”

“Remember you? I could never forget that face” He cut me off before I could finish.

My stomach flip flopped at his words and a hot flush flowed throughout my entire body. I probably looked like some kind of demented fish by the way my mouth was opening and closing in shock. But seriously, he had rendered me speechless.

After I regained speech I coughed slightly and looked away feeling slightly intimidated. I mean, he was so forward and confident, I didn’t know how to react.

“Well, we should probably... urm... start the, uh... assignment” Wow this was embarrassing!

I dared another look at him and his eyes were shining with amusement but his expression was serious. “Yeah that’s probably a good idea” He stated matter-of-factly.

Was he making fun of me?

I regained composure almost immediately, determined to come across as confident. “So, yours or mine?” I asked.

The corners of his mouth turned up slightly and his expression was of mock surprise “Wow, a bit forward don’t you think? I mean we should at least go on a date first, right?”

My mouth dropped open and my face felt like it was on fire from the blush that consumed it. Damn, that’s what I get for taking the upper hand!

“Oh! God no, I didn’t mean it like that! I just meant... you know... for the assignment!” I stuttered in horror.

His smile got bigger revealing a set of pearly white teeth, he looked like he was enjoying my embarrassment. “I’m just teasing you” He pointed out.

To him that might make it okay, but the fact he was using my unease for his entertainment annoyed me to no end. Instead of saying anything I scrawled the word ‘Jerk’ onto the piece of paper.

He seemed to become serious after seeing this and cocked his head to the side, scrutinizing me. “Quick to make assumptions aren’t we?”

“I’m just writing what I think” I answered back coldly.

He frowned slightly when I said this and then he picked up his pencil and wrote something on his sheet. I just watched the way his hands moved skilfully across the paper... I wonder what he could do with his hands...

I snapped out of my thoughts when I saw what he had written on his page. There on the first line of the paper, written in script-style handwriting was the word ‘judgemental’.

I shot him an annoyed look and he put his hands up in mock surrender.

“I’m just writing what I think sweetheart” He used my own words against me and he even had the nerve to wink at me!

I sighed in frustration “whatever” I shot back. “Look are we going to do this or not?” I asked impatiently.

He was still smiling when he replied confidently “I’ll be at yours at seven”.

Now look who’s being forward.

“Do you even know where I live?” I asked him hoping to knock back some of that confidence.