Chapter 143

Daryl's pov

As the bus drove off, I knew Lily wasn't on it. After Jace went down, she'd ignored what I'd said and I'd seen her run back into the cell block, but I was to far away to get to her and walkers were blocking my path. Whatever her reasons were for going back had better be good.

In amongst the explosions and the whiz of bullets, I'd also watched Briana as she tried to go after her, like I had, but she too had been stopped and was forced to take cover as the tank blew up the side of the cell block wall and something in my chest tightened. I didn't know if she was still in there or if she'd been hit or what, but if she hadn't, I needed to do something about the tank.

It was then I remembered the grenades we had picked up on one of our runs and an idea popped into my head. All I needed to do was get to the weapons bin and then make my way over to the tank. At the very least, by everyone else time to get out and head for the woods. That was the plan and everyone knew what they had to do.

Using the ols prison benches as cover, I made my way down to the weapons bun and pulled out a grenade. All I had to do now was make my way over to the tank, which was now enterin the courtyard.

It was then I saw her come out of the cell block. She had her pack on her back and her rifle over her shoulder. What the hell was she doing.

I wanted to call over to her, but then I heard two gun shots go off and wathed as the twi young girls, Lizzie and Mika took out two of the Governors soldiers. That was when Tyreese emerged from the bushes and the four of them ran to the back side of the prison.

I'd been so distracted making sure that she was alright that I didn't notice the tank reloading until it was to late. The next thing I knew, the bridge the four of them were running under exploaded and in that moment, it felt like I couldn't breathe.

Without any more hesitation, I ran towards the tank and pulled the pin with my teeth. I then quickly jumped up and rolled the grenade down the barrel. Almost immediately I heard someone yell from inside.

"Grenade!"

The hatch on the tank then opened and I pulled my crossbow in front of me as a man jumped from the tank. As soon as his feet hit the ground the tank blew and he watched as his ride went up in flames, but the son of a bitch wasn't dead.

I waited with my bow raised until he stood up and saw me. The look on his face said it all as he then began raising his hands, but I didn't hesitate. Not this time. I fired a bold straight into his heart and watched him fall to his knees. I then pulled the bolt and spun back round to the bridge.

I couldn't see anything through all the smoke and rubble. She was right underneath with Tyreese and the two girls when it blew. There was no way they'd made it out. She was gone and I had to accept that. If only she'd listened. If only I hadn't have given up on the Governor. If only...

I stopped as I saw someone running towards me. It was Beth. She had her gun in her hands and looked at me with fear in her eyes. "I was trying to find the kids to get them on the bus." She panted.

This was it. She was gone. I had failed her and now I knew the only option we had was to run. "We gotta go Beth, we gotta go." I told her and began making my way out of the prison, looking back once to make sure Beth was following. I couldn't afford to turn back now. If I did, I don't know if I'd be able to hold onto all the rage built up inside me.

The walkers from the field were right behind us as we ran into the woods. Every walker for miles would've been drawn in by all the explosions and the gun fire and I knew I had to get Beth out of there.

That was when I heard the all to familiar sound of a gun clicking. I turned around to see that Beth had stopped. She'd tried firing shots at some of the walkers but hadn't realised she had no bullets. It was then, I spotted a walker heading straight towards her. She hadn't seen it.