Chapter 48

Daryl drove us back up to house and over to where the origional camp was. I figured with Daryl, the way he is, he wouldn't want to be stuck inside with so many people. At least this way, we're closer to the house but Daryl still gets to have his own space.

As we came to a stop, I looked around. From what I could see, everyone was inside the house unpacking leaving Daryl and I to get settled. I climbed off the motorcycle and Daryl kicked the stand down. I then handed him his crossbow and he placed it over the handlebars before laying the fabric of the tent on the ground.

Just as we started to set up our tent I could've sworn I saw Shane walk into the shed, where we were keeping Randall, through the corner of my eye. I couldn't figure out if it was him or not as I only got a quick glance. I don't know whether I imagined it or my eyes were playing tricks on me, but it all looked a bit shifty.

I didn't think anything of it so I started to help Daryl with the tent. He'd gotten himself tangled up in the ropes and I couldn't help but laugh. Even Daryl gave out a chuckle as I helped him to get out. Luckily for him there was no one around to see him embarrassing himself. At least he seems to be more comfortable around me. I've definitely noticed that he's one to keep to himself.

Just after we'd finished, Daryl made his way into the house to catch up with Rick and I stayed back to put our things back inside the tent. I started with the sleeping bag and just as I was about to get my bag from Daryl's bike, I spotted Shane emerge from the shed. I hadn't imagined it after all but as I watched, I saw a figure in front of him and I had a bad feeling it was Randall. No one else was around but why would Shane help him?

Without thinking, I found myself walking on after him. With no one around he was free to do what ever he wanted but I don't think he knew I'd seen him. What made things worse was I couldn't call for someone and risk Shane hearing and I couldn't go back to the house and risk losing him. I had to go after him so I pulled out my gun and followed him into the woods.

As I followed and got closer, I could hear grunting and Shane telling someone to move. He wasn't being very pleasant but I had to keep quiet. Then I saw that he was in fact pushing Randall deeper into the woods. What the hell was he doing? Shane hated Randall.

All of a sudden, Shane stopped and I quickly jumped behind the closest tree. He then knelt down in front of Randall, who had tripped and fallen to the floor. "Look I know that mine is the last face you want to see but I'm gonna get this off of you so you can breath. I want you to keep quiet. Do you hear me?." Shane whispered and removed the blindfold. Randall jumped back when he saw Shanes face but nodded and Shane then took the tape from over his mouth.

As Shane began to peel the tape off, Randall began to moan. "Hey be quiet." Shane snapped and grabbed Randall's face. He looked around and I quickly stepped back behind the tree again. "Your group. You know where they at?" Shane asked.

I poked my head around the side of the tree again and Shane was still squatting in front of Randall. "I don't...I don't know where they are." Randall stuttered.

Shane slapped him accross the face. "This is the only way you're getting out of these woods alive. You hear me. Now you start talking. Where are they at?" He snapped again.

I kept myself hidded but continued to watch as Shane was talking to Randall. "We have a camp set up just off the highway, about five miles from here. Who knows if they're still there." Randall panicked.

Shane placed his hands on Randall's shoulders and tried to get him to calm down. I didn't understand. What was he up to? "So are you going to take me to them?" Shane growled.

Randall froze and looked up at Shane. "Why?" He spoke confidently.

"Because man...I'm just...I'm done with this group. They're doomed and I want no part of it. That's all." Shane lied. I knew when he was lying. It was a face I have seen him pull many times before.

"So you're not going to kill me?" Randall questioned.

"Come on, man, if I was, you'd be dead." Shane stood up and pulled Randall to his feet pushing him in front. I watched as they began walking again.

"You ain't got to be so rough." I heard Randall yell, as I started to follow behind again. Going from tree to tree. "We're on the same side now. You're gonna like it with us. It gets a little crazy sometimes, but we're a tough bunch of guys." He continued with a little prep in his step. "You'll fit in good."

All of a sudden, something snapped under my feet. Shane turned around again and I jumped behind another tree. Was I being too heavy footed? "Less talking and more walking!" Shane called over to Randall. Surely he had to know I was following him by now.

"Look, I run my mouth when I get nervous. I can't help it. I got a lot going on, you know." Randall hesitated.

"It ain't all about you." Shane replied, still looking behind. I stayed as quiet as I could, trying not to move.

"I ain't saying it's about me. I'm jut trying-" Randall stopped suddenly with small yell and a large thud to follow.

I slowly moved my head and took a quick peep around the tree to see Randall on the floor and Shane towering over him. I then held my breath as it all went quiet and watched as he continued to stand over him for a moment then turned and started walking towards me.

I stood with my back up against the tree as I listened to his footsteps getting closer and closer. I couldn't imagine what he'd do if he found out I'd followed him. He'd probably kill me.

Then his footsteps stopped. I glanced around the tree and watched as he stood facing another tree, near to him. The next thing I knew, Shane ran at the tree and started ramming his face into the bark, scraping his fingernails on the trunk. He then fell onto the floor and rolled around a little with blood pouring from his nose.

I held my breath again as he stood up and walked passed me, heading back towards the farm. Shane had done all of this for something but what? My guess is to get Rick or Daryl in the woods. Maybe it's part of some sort of plan. I mean if this doesn't show how unstable he is then nothing will.

After I knew for sure he'd gone, I walked over to Randall. Sure enough he was dead. It looked like his neck had been broken. My blood ran cold. Shane had killed him right in front of me, juat as he always wanted to. Now he's on his way back to the farm and I don't know what he's planning to do next.