Chapter 46

I stood with my head burried into Daryl's chest as I cried. I could hear Rick and Shane talking about trying to move Dale. I'd told him he was going to be alright. He was going to be okay. He wasn't.

I could feel Daryl stroking the back of my head, comforting me whilst Rick, Shane, Tdog and Glenn moved Dale. Not too long after Daryl started to walk away and pulled me along with him. "You need to get some rest. We'll take care of this." He whispered. I didn't reply. I just sobbed and tried to wipe away the tears that continued to roll down my face. All I could think about was Dale.

We walked, together, over to Briana's tent and I looked up at him. "With walkers around, I don't want you in any danger." Daryl whispered again and kissed my forehead. He was broken like the rest of us. The only difference was he did well not to show it.

"Be careful around Shane." I warned him as I felt another tear roll down my face. Daryl gently rested his hand on my face and wiped the tear with his thumb. The last thing I wanted was for someone else to die by the hands of Shane.

"I will." He touched his lips with mine and walked away.

Briana was already inside the tent, still sobbing. "You can sleep here." She pointed to an empty sleeping bag. Her voice was croaky and shaken.

"Thank you." I smiled and lay down in the sleeping bag.

"You know, I didn't know him very well but my first night here, when you went after Daryl, it was Dale. It was Dale that made me feel welcome. He made sure I was alright until you got back. Him and Carol. I couldn't do anything to repay him." Briana told me.

"That sounds like Dale. When I first met him. Tyler and I were helping find Carol's little girl, Sophia. I didn't really speak to him but when Tyler left me, Dale made sure I was alright. He wanted everyone to be safe. He'd tell you if he didn't like something and you'd know about it. He was always fighting for what is right." I replied with a small smile to finish. Dale really was something and it's not until now that I really do appreciate it all.

I must've cried myself to sleep because I was woken up by Briana saying my name. I opened my eyes and looked at her. "We're ready outside." She whispered. Then I remembered it was Dale's funeral. Although I wished it wasn't.

I stood up and prepared myself, taking a deep breath before I followed Briana out of the tent. I don't think anyone got much sleep last night. Then again, how could we? Losing yet another one of our own.

As we made our way over I spotted Daryl waiting in the camp with Rick. Everyone else was stood where we'd dug the graves for Hershal's friends and family along with Sophia. It seems as each day goes by, more and more graves are being dug.

Together, we all slowly walked over to the others. There was a mound of dirt that had been freshly dug up where small white stones were placed around the edges just like the others. It was so peaceful.

"Dale could get under your skin. He sure got under mine." Rick started and then stopped. I quickly took a glance up and Andrea had started sobbing. She was the closest to Dale than anyone else. I think she saw him as more of a fatherly figure.

"He wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought. How he felt. That kind of honesty is rare." Rick stopped again. I could feel my eyes beginning to water but I didn't want to burst out crying like I did the night before. Then Daryl grabbed hold of my hand and he interlocked our fingers. "And brave. When ever I would make a decision. I would look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him but he could read us. He saw people for who they were." I looked over at Shane. Shane was staring straight back at me. Dale knew he killed Otis. That's probably why the two if them didn't get on.

"He knew things about us. The truth. Who we really are. In the end he was talking about us losing our humanity. He said this group is broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves. Take control of our lives. Our safety. Our future." Rick continued and stopped again. I looked up and Shane had moved his eyes to look at Lori, who was holding Carl's hand. "We're going to prove him wrong. From now on, we do it his way. That is how we honour Dale." Rick completed his speech and there was a moment of silence. During it Daryl squeezed my hand and just one tear managed to make its way down my cheek.

After a couple of minutes everyone started to walk towards the house and the camp. Daryl still holding my hand. "I think it's time that you all moved into the house." Hershal announced, stopping everyone in their tracks. This was the first step to us honoring Dale.

We all followed Hershal towards the camp where he sent Jimmy to go and get the truck. He then spoke to Maggie and Patricia before turning back to us and looking at Rick. "It'll be tight. Fourteen people in one house." Rick added.

"Don't worry about that. We've had a talk and with the swamp hardening, the creek drying up-"

"About fifty cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell." Maggie interrupted but finished Hershal's sentence.

"She's right. We should of moved you in a while ago." Hershal nodded.

At that moment Jimmy drove down in the truck and parked it next to Rick and Herahal. "Alright we'll put the vehicles near each of the doors, facing out towards the road. We'll keep a look out in the windmill, another in the barn. That should give us sight lines both sides of the property." Rick ordered with no argument from any of us.

Everyone then started to pack up their belongings and put them into the back of the truck. By this point Daryl had let go of my hand and together we started to help everyone with moving their things.

"Tdog!" Rick called over. "You take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going." He ordered.

"What about standing guard?" Tdog asked.

"I need you and Daryl on double duty." Rick replied and looked over to Daryl who was looking at me.

Daryl nodded as Hershal came over carrying a lare crate in his hands. "I'll stock the basement with food and water. Enough so we can all survive there a few days if need be. Lily you can help me." He turned to me.

I finished putting what was left of the food into my box and loaded it onto the truck where I walked over to Hershal, Maggie, Pratricia and Beth. Each with bags on their shoulders heading up to the house.

I stopped when Rick mentioned Randall and so did Hershal. "Whilst me and Daryl take Randall of site and cut him loose." Rick was talking to Shane who hadn't moved to help any of us with packing up.

I knew Shane didn't like the fact that Rick was leaving him behind. I think everyone knew. Shane then said something to Rick but I didn't catch what it was and I saw Rick laugh and look back at Shane. "It was a good plan last time. Just a poor execution." Rick laughed.

I couldn't be bothered to stick around and listen to Shane start another argument so I grabbed the bag of guns and what was left of the ammo and walked towards the house. Hershal shortly followed behind.

"I see why Rick isn't taking Shane with him." Hershal told me as Daryl drove his motorbike passed us. "Just to let you know that I have no more patience where he's concerned."

The both of us glanced back towards Shane who still wasn't doing anything to help. "Trust me, you're not the only one." I chuckled as Rick sped passed us and started to talk to Andrea.

I placed the bag in the house, next to all our other supplies, and turned around to see Carl standing behind me. "Lily. Can I talk to you for a second?" He stuttered.

"Yeah, sure. What is it?" I nodded.

Carl shook his head and began to head out of the house and down to the barn with me following on after him.