Chapter 89

We ran back into the tunnels as fast as our legs could carry us. It was quiet without the alarms and it didn't feel right. For all we knew, a walker could be around every corner.

Then we all heard noises coming from further on down the hallway. Without any hesitation we all leaned up against the wall and waited. Me with my crossbow in the air ready to fire if necessary. Luckily enough it was just Glenn, Jace and Axel though the sound of a walker could still be heard echoing down to us.

Rick must've heard it as well as me as he walked along side the wall heading towards it. Me still with my crossbow ready to fire. It wasn't until we turned the corner to see two walkers chewing down on a body. I prayed to god it wasn't one of us, not that it would do anything. Praying never helped me growing up.

Rick shot them both, not stopping to think about the noise, and we walked over to it. I had no words. Praying really did jack shit and nothing anyone said could say that could change that.

I looked over at Rick as he just kept opening his mouth to speak but nothing came out. I didn't blame him. Tdog's body lay cold and open on the ground. Those assholes had torn him to pieces.

As I bowed my head, I recognised something on the ground. It was a piece of clothing. I picked it up to see that it was in fact the head scalf that Carol had worn earlier on in the day. Maybe she'd gotten away with the others. I showed it to Rick before shoving it into my back pocket and began moving back down the tunnles.

"Maybe they went back?" Glenn suggested, breaking the silence that'd settled. It was the only suggestion we'd had and Carol's head scalf seemed to support the idea.

No one else said anyhing as Rick began running down the hallways. We all just ran on behind him. We didn't stop. All I could guess was that we were on our way back outside to Gershal and the others. I just prayed...no hoped that she was out there and everyone else was safe.

I was suddenly snapped out of my thoughts as I ran straight into someone or something. It toppled over and I pointed my torch down to whatever it was...Carol!

"Rick!" I called down the hallway as I helped Carol to his feet.

Rick came running back. "Carol." He gasped, lost for words as he hugged her. "Have you seen Lori, Carl or anyone else?" He asked.

She shook her head and tears brimmed her eyes. "Tdog...Lily." She stopped and looked over to me. "Walkers got to them. T was bit. Lily, she got taken down by a walker. They saved me." She sobbed.

My heart broke into a million pieces. I wasn't going to believe it. I couldn't believe it. There was no way. She was a fighter. A walker took her down back at the farm and she found us. I don't know how but she did. Maybe this was the same. It had to be. She can't be gone. She just can't.

I could feel myself breaking as we ran for the exit. Do not cry in front of these people I told myslef and that was the thought that carried me through, until we were outside.

"Hershal!" Rick yelled as he ran through a door leading to the courtyard and out of the tombs.

"You didn't find them?" Hershal's voice shook.

"We found Carol, but thought maybe they came back out here." Glenn replied to the old man.

They all shook their heads as they came out the cage box. "What about T-?" David asked.

"Lily?" Briana added onto him before allowing him to finish.

I lowered my head and looked up at them all slightly. "They didn't make it." I sighed.

Briana turned to Beth and the pair of them began crying their eyes out. At the same time both David and Hershal both had tears brimming their eyes as they looked at one another. I think I did well to keep my emotions hidden. Lily really didn't know how much she meant to us all, including me.