Chapter 10

I kicked and squirmed, trying to get away from whoever or whatever had a hold of me as they began dragging me under a car. They weren't letting go, but I guess a sense of relief passed through me. If it was a walker then, surely, I would've had a chunk taken out of my skin by now. That just left me with the question of who it was and what the hell were they doing? Were they trying to get us killed? Were they trying to kidnap me?

"Quit kicking." Daryl whispered. 

I glanced over my shoulder and he let go of me, laying flat on his stomach as he began shuffling his way under the car. I raised my brow at what he was doing and he rolled his eyes, gesturing for me to follow him. 

I didn't move. The moans and the growls getting louder and louder. If I stood and ran, they'd see me and it would most likely be game over for everyone. 

"Hey." Daryl called and I whipped my head back to face him. He gestured again and this time I nodded and quickly shuffled my way under after him. The two of us laying still under the car.

I couldn't see anyone else and my heart began to race. All I wanted, was for someone to tell me this was all gonna be okay. That they weren't gonna see us. The panic rising within me, but as I lay next to Daryl, I had to keep myself together.

"You still got that knife?" He asked.

I nodded my head one to many times and took it from my belt. My hands shook as I griped the handle. The walkers now beginning to pass the car, each one of them moaning, dragging their feet along the road. There must of been hundreds of them. All it would take was just one of them to spot us and it was all over. 

No matter what I did, I couldn't stop myself as I started to whimper from the fear and as they bumped into the car, flinching as my breathing got quicker and my grip on the knife tightened. It reminded me of that night in the cabin. The sound of the dead knocking into the walls, not knowing if they were going to eventually push their way through the door and get inside. It just made me want to cry. I wanted to run away. We were trapped and they were gonna find us.

Before I could make a noise, I flinched again as Daryl moved closer to me and covered my mouth with his hand. He then bought his other hand to his own where he mouthed a 'shh'. So much for trying to keep myself together. There was no way we were getting out of this alive.

Daryl, on the other hand, wasn't phased as he kept his hand firmly over my mouth, stopping any of my cries from alerting the walkers walking by, and by the look of it, they all seemed to be oblivious as to where we were. It calmed me, but not enough into thinking we were safe, so, I tried to focus on something else. 

I couldn't see anyone else past the sea of walker feet and I hoped they'd managed to get somewhere safe. The whole thing was just insane and I was embarrassed. I'd built it up in my head that I wasn't gonna be that weak little girl anymore and I didn't want to make it obvious that I was terrified, but I knew it was already too late for that. Sure, I'd taken that first step with Tyler, but it only made me think, maybe he was right. Maybe I did need protecting because how long's it gonna be before I'm dead? If Daryl wasn't here, surely I would be.

Eventually, everything went quiet and, after what felt like forever, it looked like the walkers had all disappeared. Daryl removing his hand from my mouth as my body stopped shaking and my breathing somewhat returned to normal. It was then, I took a deep breath, composing myself, and started to shuffle my way out from under the car, but stopped when Daryl grabbed my arm. 

I looked back over to him to see him shaking his head and, as if on cue, a couple more stray walkers strolled by.

Without thinking, I jumped back closer to Daryl as I felt my body tense and the panic beginning to rise again. One of the walkers stopping right next to me. I couldn't take my eyes off of it and flinched when Daryl grabbed my arm again. It didn't move and I felt the tears beginning to form.