Chapter 50

Carl's eyes widened. "Dad!" He croaked.

I looked over at Rick as he turned from Shane to face Carl. Carl had a gun in his hand and just looked between the both of us. This wasn't going to be easy to explain.

Rick's face dropped as he slowly stood up from kneeling next to Shane and started to walk towards Carl. I slowly and forcefully did the same. "Carl." Rick sniffed.

I walked on behind him with my gun shot wound feeling like it was on fire. "You should be back at the house with mom." Rick sobbed. Carl's eyes filled with tears as he looked to Rick and then to me and then over towards Shane. Carl was probably the only person who looked up to Shane. The only person who seemed to not be able to see through his lies.

All of a sudden, Carl raised his gun and pointed it towards both myself and Rick. I froze and Rick stopped immediately after before raising his hand towards Carl. He then started to slowly step towards him. All I could think was that I deserved this. I killed Shane so I wouldn't be surprised if Carl did the same to me.

"Just...just put the gun down." Rick stuttered. Carl didn't move. He kept the gun up. "Please it's not what it seems."

As I stood there, I found myself breathing rather heavily. So much so I could see each breath in the cold winter air. I tried to ignore the pain in my arm as Rick's torn shirt rubbed against it but I couldn't. Then Carl pointed his gun directly at me.

For a moment, I held my breath and slowly closed my eyes. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to say. I was speachless. An emotional wreck. I'd killed Shane and this was my punishment. I just had to take it.

All of a sudden, the gun fired. I flinched as it did and I squeezed my eyes shut but I was still here. I was still living. There I was thinking that this was the end for me.

As I opened my eyes Rick pulled me behind him to where he put out his hand. I turned around to see a walker laying on the ground just off to where I was standing. Carl had saved my life. He wasn't pointing the gun at me. He was aiming for the walker.

I stepped a little closer towards it as Rick stuck out his hand again. "Wait, wait, wait, wait." He repeated. He then rolled it over and revealed who it was. The walker was Shane, but how? He wasn't bitten. As far as I knew, I'd killed him. How the hell could this have happened? It doesn't make sense.

Rick pulled the same puzzled expression as me before he examined Shane's body. Sure enough, there were no bites and no scratches on him. Carl had hit him right between the eyes and put him down, but it still didn't explain how this was possible, how he'd turned.

We stood there a second longer before Rick walked away with Carl. I wasn't too far behind as I took one last look at Shane before following on after them. No one would miss him. I definitely wouldn't. It was only moments ago he had a gun to my head. I just wish things didn't have to go the way they did.

We made our way through the field to where Rick opened the gate and closed it behind us. "Are you bit too?" Carl asked looking at both Rick and I.

"No." Rick replied and looked back at me. I shook my head.

"Shane was." Carl sobbed.

"That wasn't Shane. You know that." I replied from behind.

Carl turned to look at me. "It used to be..." He sighed and then stopped. "What happend?" He asked. "Were you guys attacked? I heard a gun shot, but I didn't see any walkers near by. How did Shane die?" Carl looked at my arm. "Were you bit?" He croaked.

"No. We're both fine. Shane shot me." I told him.

"How did Shane die?" Carl asked again.

Rick looked over towards me and I nodded my head. He then sighed before he turned back and crouched down next to Carl. Carl needed to know. Everyone needed to know what Shane was and how he died.

Before Rick could start speaking, a strong smell of rotting corpses filled the air. That's when I looked around and spotted a massive heard of walkers. Bigger than I've ever seen before, heading straight towards us.

"Rick." I gasped. I couldn't take my eyes off the herd.

"Oh my god." Rick whispered and grabbed both mine and Carl's arms before starting to run.

They were everywhere. In front. Behind. To the sides. We were surrounded. Maybe they were in the area and were bought on by the gun fire. That was the only explanation. What else could it have been?

We had no choice but to duck down by a tree as they blocked our path back to the house. The growling getting louder and louder. "We've got to get back to the house!" Carl stated. "Tell the others."

"We'll never get through that." I shook. "The gun shot must've drawn them in."

"We'll go around. Both of you stay close. Now go!" Rick said before quickly pulling me and Carl out from by the tree and towards the barn. The walkers were on top of us but we kept running. Each one of them lunging forward to try and grab us.

Carl ran into the barn and I followed on behind him with Rick closing the door once we were all inside. I then quickly jammed a broom handle into the door as Rick closed it and immediately the walkers began to bang and push against the wood.

"What do we do now?" I asked as we moved to the center of the barn. The moaning and banging increased. We were trapped.

Before he could answer, Rick ran over to an empty stall and pulled out a can of fuel. He then started to empty it onto the ground and I knew what the plan was so I went over and opened another. I started to pour it onto the dry hay and Carl did the same.

We covered as much of the floor as possible as the walkers had begun breaking the wood around us. "Lily. Carl. Up here now, hurry." Rick panted.

"What about you?" Carl panicked.

"I'll be right there. Carl drop the lighter when I say." Rick replied and handed a small lighter to Carl. "It'll stop some of them from reaching the house. It will distract the others. At least we'll have a chance. You can do this. Carl, I love you." Rick continued and pushed Carl up the steps. I followed on up behind and stood next to Carl, looking down at Rick.

Rick ran over to the barn doors and began yelling and kicking them. He then slid the broom handle out and swung the doors open. There must've been hundreds by the door, let alone outside.

He ran to the ladder, still yelling, and started climbing. He was just out of their reach when he yelled over to Carl. "Now!" He yelled.

Carl immediately opened the lighter and I ran over to help Rick up as the ladder he was on snapped, due to the weight of the walkers. The now lit lighter fell to the ground and caught the floor and the walkers on fire. We watched as they burned.

Then, over the sound of the fire, I heard a noise so I listened and it was the sound of Daryl's motorbike and gunfire. "That's Daryl's bike." I told them and made my way over to the window. Carl and Rick were right behind me as we looked out to see everyone in cars, shooting the walkers and the RV heading our way.

I nudged Rick and he began to yell. "Over here! Bring it right here!" It looked like Jimmy was in the drivers seat. He parked just in front of the window and one by one we climbed out and jumped over to the roof of the RV.

I could hear Jimmy yelling from inside as I climbed down the ladder, took out my gun and shot at some walkers that were getting to close. As I did Rick helped Carl down and pushed a few walkers away from him before we ran round to the front of the RV. There was blood being splattered over the inside of the windshield and the yelling had stopped. Jimmy was gone.

We didn't have time to stand around and mourn him as walkers were heading towards us in all different directions. We had no choice but to run around to the front of the barn but it too was to crowded. "Head for the woods now!" Rick snapped and ran forwards pushing Carl with him.

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me as we made a dash for the tree line, only with a couple of walkers following behind. The only thing going through my mind being that we'll be lucky if we get out of this alive.