Chapter 132

Daryl's pov

I woke up the next morning to find that Lily wasn't laying next to me. At first it took me by surprise, as usually, I'm up before her, but then I figured, with being pregnant and carrying my baby, she was out getting some fresh air. I remember it being like that with Lori in the early days. If not, then she was probably down by the graves, laying flowers down for her pops.

I never had a loving father like she did, so I can't imagine how hard this is for her. The pain she must be feeling. It was just Merle and I before all this, and now, on top of losing her dad, she's gonna be having my child and I'm terrified. It's something I never thought would've ever been possible. It would mean a fresh start for me, and a chance to step up and be the dad my father could never be. There's nothing I wouldn't do to keep both Lily and that baby in her stomach safe.

It was a little while longer before I finally got up, grabbed my crossbow and made my way out of our cell. Lily still wasn't back and by the sound if it, no one else was up. All I could hear was the distant sound of coughing coming from in the tombs as it wondered into the cell block like a whisper. I just hate the thought of someone else having to go through what Lily's dad and the others did.

With that in mind, I made my way around to the stairs and in that moment, it felt like my heart shattered into a million pieces.

"Lily!" I gasped and sprinted down to her.

She was laying unconscious at the bottom of the stairs with a busted lip and a large bruise on both the side of her head and her shoulder. "Lily!" I pulled her into my arms and moved a strand of hair out of her face. "Lily, wake up. Can you hear me?" I shook her gently.

At the least she was breathing, but she showed no sign of a response and I didn't have time to sit around and wait for her to wake up, so I picked her up in my arms, bridal style, and raced into Hershal's cell.

"Hershal!" I called as I entered his cell. He was sat on his bed, reading his bible and shot up when he saw Lily in my arms.

"Lay her here." He told me, pointing to the bed, putting his bible down on the night stand. "What happened?"

I lay Lily down onto the bed and stepped back so that Hershal could take a look at her. I didn't have the answer to that question. "I don't know." I told him. "I found her unconscious at the bottom of the stairs. She must've fell or something."

Hershal nodded and placed some sort of cloth onto her lip and then began to examined her head and shoulder. "Is she gonna be okay?"

"The good news is, she doesn't seem to have broken any bones." He replied, though I could feel the but coming. "But the bad news is we won't know if she has something wrong with her head until she wakes up."

"What about the baby?" I asked. I don't know what I'd do if I lost either of them.

"We'll have to wait until she wakes up. There's nothing we can do." He began patting a damp cloth onto her head. "She was scared about telling you, you know. She asked me to."

"I know." I nodded and I understood. The whole thing was terrifying for the both of us. Bringing another baby into the world was gonna mean we'd have a lot more responsibility. We'd have to be more careful, but if it meant I could be a proper dad and be there for Lily, I was willing to accept it. She needs all the family she can get now after her dad. I mean, she has Hershal and Maggie and Beth, but she didn't even know they existed until the world went to shit. Now, they're all she has left.

"There's a council meeting later." Hershal said, breaking me from my thoughts.

I nodded and lent up against the wall, crossing my arms. "Yeah. Lily-" I stopped as a familiar weak voice interrupted me.