Chapter 45

I grabbed the lantern from the side and sprinted out after Daryl, as he'd already took off out of the shed. We ran through the field in the direction we first heard the yells, passing the burnt bodies, when there was another yell. This time sounding a lot clearer and full of pain.

I took my knife from my belt and ran with Daryl towards the yelling, which was now a constant scream. But as we got closer it sounded more and more like Dale. Then he came into view. A walker was on top of him.

Without a seconds thought, I dropped the lantern and I quickly ran over, diving on the walker stabbing my knife into its forehead. I pulled it out again and wiped the blade on my jeans as stood up. I then placed it back into my belt and turned around as I heard the sudden sound of wheezing and spluttering. The walker had ripped open Dale's stomach and in that moment I froze. I didn't know what to do.

"Help! Over here!" Daryl yelled to the others as I could hear them yelling. As he yelled I crouched down by Dale, trying to do something, but what could I do? I just looked at the old man whilst Daryl continued to yell. "Help! Run!"

"Dale, you're gonna be alright. The others are coming. Hershal, he'll get you fixed up and we'll have you back on your feet." I told him as I looked up and saw lights coming from the others running across the field. I could hear Andrea yelling Dale's name over the others. "Randall's alive. He's being kept as a prisoner for now." I turned back to him with a tear following after. Dale forced a painful smile and nodded his head. I had to try and change the subject and keep his mind occupied over the pain.

Soon enough Rick came over first and put the palm of his hand on Dale's head. He was quickly followed by the rest of the group. Andrea immediately dropping both her gun and her torch as she saw Dale and came to keel down besides me.

Rick then started talking to Dale trying to keep him calm as Lori ran over and stopped when she saw what had happened. "Get Herahal!" Rick yelled.

"Hang on Dale. Hang on." Andrea cried. Dale looked at her with his eyes wide open and nodded his head. I was speechless and I couldn't think of anything else to say.

Briana then came over and helped me to my feet. She was as lost for words as I was. As all of us were. "We need Hershal!" Rick yelled again.

As Rick yelled Hershal came running over and looked at Dale. I knew the answer and so did nearly everyone else. I didn't want to believe it. Either way we have to at least do something. "Can we move him?" Rick questioned.

"He won't make the trip." Hershal replied sympathetically, shaking his head.

Rick wasn't going to give up. "You have to do the operation here. Glenn get back to the house-" Rick stood up and started giving orders.

"Rick!" Hershal shook his head and looked at Rick. We were all in tears as we stood around Dale. At least Randall was alive and Dale's fighting wasn't for nothing.

I watched Rick as he pulled his gun from his belt and squatted back down besides Dale. Dale was in pain. It looked and sounded like he couldn't breath. The look on his face was one of fear and terror. Non of us had seen him like this. He was always the calm one who fought for the greater good. Who wouldn't rest until he'd done right by everyone.

I then noticed Carl walk over and he went straight towards the walker I had just killed. He looked at it and then ran over to me and cried. He held onto my waist as he sobbed and I placed my hand on his back as he did. Lori exchanged looks with me. This was hard enough for the rest of us let alone a child.

"He's suffering. Do something." I stuttered between my sobs. I was thinking more about both Carl and Dale than any one else.

If there is one thing that I have had to learn in this world, it's that you never let your own turn. You don't let them suffer. Even if I hate the idea of having to kill someone. Letting your loved ones turn is like losing a part of them. Like you won't let them go when they need to.

Rick raised his gun at Dale's head and we all knew he didn't want to shoot. His hand was shaking and his finger wasn't touching the trigger. Then Andrea saw the gun and turned her head in the other direction. So did a couple of others.

I watched as Rick held the gun on Dale. He didn't shoot. He couldn't do it. Then Daryl slowly walked around and took the gun from Rick's hand. He knelt down on one knee and held the gun close to Dale's forehead.

Daryl looked up at me as if to ask permission. I nodded my head slightly and he looked back at Dale. He then took a deep breath looking at Dale. "I'm sorry brother." He mumbled.

I closed my eyes and turned Carl away as he was still holding onto my waist. The gunshot was loud and echoed over the empty terrain. Dale was gone. I can't say I blame Rick. I wouldn't have been able to do it either. We all loved Dale and Daryl was the only one who could do it.

For a moment Daryl kneeled down next to Dale for a couple more minutes before he stood up and walked around to me. He pulled me into a long hug, letting me cry into his chest and Carl went over to Rick where they did the same.

Everything was falling apart and with Dale out of the picture, Shane's free to do what ever he wants.