Chapter 88

Daryl's pov

(I just wanted to start this chaper by saying that there will be a couple of Daryl POV chapters in the next couple of updates. I hope you enjoy.)

As soon as Carl screamed the word walker, Rick dropped the wood in his hands and started sprinting around the walkways to get to our group. Me close behind. How did this even happen? We'd secured the cell block and the courtyard, so how the hell'd they get in there?

It wasn't until we were half way round that I noticed Glenn had raced back round to tie up the hole in the fence we'd used to get in. The only problem was he had the keys.

"Lori! Get out of there!" Rick screamed ahead of me. I could just about hear Lily, as we ran, giving orders to everyone, shooting walkers as she did. If this doesn't show her she's a true leader nothing will.

Rick then sprinted off ahead of me, reaching the gate. He first tried to push it open but seeing that that didn't work he turned around. "The lock! Hurry up! Keys!" He yelled.

I dropped my crossbow on the floor and turned around to Glenn, who was a ways down from us. He took the keys from his pocket and tossed them to me where I then caught them and tossed them to Rick. Rick then immediately turned to the lock as I picked up my crossbow and joined him.

It didn't take him too long to finally opened the gate. Once he did we ran into the entrance where the three prisoners were being held. "Get out of my way!" Rick snapped at them as he unlocked the next gate.

We ran out as fast as we could and I could now see that everyone had gone from the courtyard. Walkers now taking their places. I could only hope that they'd all made it out alive and were safe in the cell block.

"Hey bro, what about us?" I heard Axel call from behind as we ran into the field. We all ignored him. We didn't have time to stand and chat.

As we ran through the field and into the courtyard, we immediately started taking out the walkers. "What the hell happened?" Rick yelled over to the small group that had gathered in the cage as my arrow pierced through another skull.

"The gate was open!" Beth yelled back.

"Where's Lori, Carl, everyone else?" Rick asked.

"Maggie lead Lori and Carl into C block." David replied.

"And T got bit." Briana added.

"Anyone else?" I asked.

"I couldn't tell." Hershal replied. I guess I'd have to find Lily to know that answer.

Rick nodded his head and I killed a walker that had wondered over to me. Both Rick and I then ran towards Glenn who'd come back over from the gate we'd closed. "Those chains didn't break on their own. Someone took an axe or cutters to 'em." Glenn informed. I looked over to the gate to sure enough see that the chain was broken.

Rick looked towards the prisoners and I did the same. I just hope that Lily's okay. If she's not, I know who'll be getting a bolt through the head. Not that they'd see it coming. "You think they did it?" Glenn voiced what both Rick and I were thinking.

"Who else?" Rick replied.

All of a sudden an alarm went of which startled us all. "You gotta be kiding me!" I snapped.

These alarms would bring walkers from miles around. "Daryl?" Rick called me. I turned to face him and he threw me the keys. Rick and Glenn then shot some of the nearest speakers, dulling the sound a little but that wouldn't stop the geeks.

"How the hell could this be happening?" Rick yelled running towards the prisoners, pointing his gun.

They all raised their hands. "Woah, woah, woah. It has to be the backup generators." Oscar replied.

"Well, how do you turn those off." Rick snapped lowering his gun.

"There's three that's connected to a diesel tank, okay? Each one controls a certain part of the prison. The hatch shut them all of when the prison was overrun." Oscar replied quickly as I still had my crossbow pointed at his head.

"Can someone open up the main gates electronically with full power?" Rick yelled again.

"I only worked in there a few days. I guess it might be possible." Oscar answered again. Both Axel and Jace nodding.

Rick grabbed his uniform and pulled him with us. "Come with us!" He spat and ran for our cell block. There were walkers inside and the others were no where to be found.

We then split up with Glenn and Rick heading into the sleeping quarters, leaving me with the prisoners in the common room.

It didn't take us long to clear it out again, but that still left one unanswered question. Where were the others? "We just took down five of them in there." I called to Rick as he and Glenn walked over.

"There were four in here, but no sign of Lori or anyone." Rick replied.

"They must've been pushed back into the prison." Glenn suggested as I loaded another arrow into my crossbow. It made sense. They weren't in here and they weren't outside so they had to be in the tombs somewhere.

Rick then turned to face us. Anger in his eyes. "Somebody is playing games! We'll split up and look for the others. Whoever gets to the generators first, shut 'em down!" He barked as he left the room and headed for the tunnles.

Rick and I had Oscar with us, leaving Glenn with Axel and Jace, as we ran down the tunnles. Lucky for us he lead us straight to the generator room. "Daryl get the door!" Rick yelled at me as we all ran inside.

I dropped my crossbow to the ground and slammed the door shut. Oscar then helped me whilst Rick went over to the generator. There were too many walkers that had followed us and stacked themselves up against the doors.

"How do you shut these down?!" Rick yelled to Oscar.

The door was heavy but I could hold it. The alarms were more important. "Go help 'im. I got it." I gasped as I pushed the door closed.

I heard the sound of yelling between Rick, Oscar and surprisingly someone else, but I was to focused in holding the door closed that I couldn't hear what was going on. The weight of the walkers on it causing me to keep slipping and having to adjust myself again and again.

This wasn't getting anywhere fast. I moved from the door, grabbed my crossbow and started killing walkers all in the matter of a few seconds. I then took out my knife, finishing off the rest and closing the door fully. It was then that more walkers began banging on the door trying to get to us.

It was when I turned round that I saw who it was arguing with Rick and Oscar. Oscar had Rick's gun in his hand pointing it at Rick himself and Andrew, the prisoner who'd I'd thought Rick killed when he chased him into the tombs. Apparently not.

Not wanting to take any chances, I slowly started making my way over to the three of them with my knife raised. I was ready to pounce if anything went wrong. Not that it would.

"Shoot him! We can take back this prison." Andrew stuttered. Oscar didn't move. He just stood with the gun in his hands and didn't do anything. "What you waiting for?" Do it! It's our house. Shoot him!" He continued to yell. It was like he'd gone mad.

I just kept getting closer with my knife raised as Oscar manovered the gun and shot Andrew in the forehead. He then moved it back to face Rick. Rick had had his arm out the whole time and a look of fear and horror crossed his face. I was ready, watching his finger on the trigger. If I so much as saw it twitch I'd lunge.

To my surprise, he turned the gun so that the handle was facing Rick. He was handing him his gun back, but why? Rick took the gun anyway and turned off the generator, stopping the alarms.

"Lets go!" He muttered.

I was surprised that after the way we've treated Oscar and the others, he just willingly handed Rick the gun. Maybe Lily was right about these men. If they were going to do something that would have been his best and only chance.