Chapter 87

Both Tdog and I caught up with the others after a second or two of looking back over at the prisoners. This wasn't right. Even if Jace wasn't Briana's brother, I'd still be standing here putting my neck on the line. Sending them out there, them not knowing of the things we'd had to face, that was a death sentence.

"Move the cars to the upper yard. Point them facing out. They'll be out of the way but ready to go if we ever need to bail." Rick called from in front before then walking over to me. "We'll give the prisoners a weeks worth of supplies for the road."

"They might not last a week." I replied bluntly.

"It's their choice." Rick snapped back.

I looked at him hard as we kept walking over to the car. "Did they really have one?"

"Hey, hey." Rick turned and grabbed my arm, pulling me back slightly. "Whose blood would you rather have on your hands? Ours or theirs?" We'd now moved over to the closest of the cars so that I was leaning up against the door.

"Neither." I replied bluntly again. "I have enough of that as it is."

I opened the car door and hopped in, ignoring anything else Rick had to say. I then turned the key in the ignition and looked through the mirror. Jace was looking over at the car. A pleading look in his eye. I wasn't going to stop fighting for them, whether Rick liked it or not. I had to do something, if not for them but for Briana.

I drove the car uo the field ans into the yard where I parked the car facing away from the prison. I then stepped out, leavin the keys, where a huge smile then printed across my face. For a moment it didnt seem real but it was ans it was a miracle.

Hershal was up on his feet, using the crutches to get around. My dad, Briana, Beth, Carl and Lori by his side. It was then I spotted Lori looking over to me and smiling as she held Hershal up straight. I smiled back. At least she was trying to make a mends, we both were. I think I underestimated her back on the road. She wasn't all that bad under the cold surface she puts up.

"You're doing well." I smiled over at Hershal.

He smiled back. "You cleared all those bodies out?" He asked.

"We're working on it." I replied and walked over to them. The smile not being able to fall from my face.

"It's starting to look like a place we could really live in." He chuckled.

"Hey watch your step. The last thing we need is you falling." Lori stuck out her hand to steady Hershal again. She looked at me and shook her head with a smile on her face.

We don't see eye to eye but at least she was trying. I appreciate it. "Alright Hershal!" I heard Glenn yell from over by the fence.

By the look of it Rick, Daryl and Glenn, they'd all been out to get some wood for us to burn the bodies. Either that or to make a fire to keep warm. Maggie had also made her way up to us from the car she had parked next to mine.

"You're doing great daddy." Beth smiled. Hershal smiled back.

"Ready to race Hershal?" Carl joked.

I let out a small chuckle at Carl. Even in the crappiest of times, he still managed to put a smile on everyone's faces. "Give me another day. I'll take you on." Hershal joked back, agreeing to what Carl had just said.

After another momemt of quick chit chatter, I started to make my way over to Tdog and Carol to continue our work. Things are slowly starting to sort themselves out. Me and Lori were trying to be friendly, Hershal was up on his feet and we were all just enjoying the peaceful moment of silence that had settled. Even Lori and Rick were smiling at each other in a loving way which only made the smile on my face all the wider.