Chapter 6

"What about us?"

Rick stopped and turned around. "Sorry, follow me." He gestured.

An unsettled feeling washed over me as he lead us into the RV, where everyone was all cramped inside. There wasn't much space at all and it felt rather claustrophobic. What made it worse was that I didn't feel comfortable sleeping in such an enclosed space with everyone, especially considering they were all pretty much still strangers. We didn't know them and they didn't know us and just the thought of it made me feel nauseous. What didn't help was how I was still feeling a little queasy after the whole incident with the walker.

"Look, we've taken your weapons as a precaution. We don't need you trying anything and the last thing we want to do is keep separating you, but-"

"Then don't." Tyler interrupted. I saw the look on Rick's face change and if Tyler carried on the way he's going, he was gonna get us both killed. I thought this would help, at the very least, I thought that being around other people would help him. That it would snap him out of this dangerous mindset, but so far, I was coming up short.

"Tyler." I warned and nudged him.

"But." Rick continued, glaring at Tyler. "My family. These people. They'd feel a lot safer knowing you weren't together. That's what's happening." He paused. He was waiting for a response and I nodded. Tyler, on the other hand didn't move so I nudged him again and he too complied. "As a group, we've made the decision that one of you sleeps over there." He pointed to a chair sat at a small table. "And one of you can sleep on the roof. There's a sleeping bag up there and we'll be able to hear if you decide to come down. That's the deal. Take it or leave it." 

The moment Rick mentioned a space on the roof, I jumped at the opportunity. "You stay in here. I'll go up there. It'll be nice to get some fresh air." Not that we'd been outside most of the day already. I just wanted an excuse to be away from everyone. 

"Then it's settled." Rick nodded and climbed over everyone to get to his family. "We'll see you in the morning."

"Lily-"

Before Tyler could argue, I'd already stepped out of the RV and into the cold night air.

It finally felt like I could breathe again. The gentle wind blowing through my hair. I don't often get claustrophobic, but there were too many people cramped into such a small space for me to be dealing with. That and I didn't trust that if I'd let Tyler stay out here, he wasn't gonna do something stupid. I couldn't be weak. Not anymore. I'd gotten us into this and I was going to see it through.

Knowing I'd made my decision perfectly clear, I took a deep breath and walked over to the ladder at the back of the RV. I climbed up and froze as I saw Daryl lying down on a rather large sleeping bag twisting an arrow between his fingers.

Rick did say there was a sleeping bag, but clearly forgot to mention someone was already in it. I cleared my throat, so not to startle him, and he looked up. 

"Sorry." I apologized, knowing I'd interrupted what ever he was doing. "Rick said there was space up here." I was trying to be polite. I didn't know what to say that didn't sound awkward or uncomfortable, although I was well past awkward at this stage.

Daryl rolled his eyes and patted his hand on the empty side of the sleeping bag. I looked at him and crossed my arms over my chest, raising my brows. Seriously? And for a second, I debated heading back down and sleeping in one of the cars. 

"I ain't gonna bite." He grunted. 

I scoffed. I wasn't so sure of that.

We hadn't exactly gotten off to the best of starts, so I hesitated a little while longer. I didn't know him. Didn't know any of these people. Didn't know where we were. We're they stupid for letting in two people they knew nothing about? All I did know was that I'd forced Tyler's hand, gotten us into this. That they were looking for that little girl and I'd volunteered to help.