Chapter 76

I was staring out my window when I received another visitor. This one I was actually happy to see.

"How ya feeling Jess?" Uncle Sam asked as he entered and I kind of shrugged, not moving my head. "Hey, is everything okay kid?" I closed my eyes. Right now, I didn't want him to call me kid. But he didn't know what I did. "Jess?" He asked and I opened my eyes and turned to look at him.

"Uncle Sam, can I ask you something? Something.... personal?" I said softly and he nodded.

"Do you want the door closed for this?" He asked me and I nodded a little bit, biting my lip. How could I phrase this question while hiding the truth from him?

"Uncle Sam, do you feel like you have to protect me?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Of course I do kid. You're my niece. I'll always protect you." I shook my head.

"No. Not like that. I mean, when it comes to you guys hunting. Do you hold yourselves back because you think you have to protect me?" I asked and he answered, confused.

"Course not. We know that you can hold your own. I mean, that's what you did with the demon." He said and I smiled a little bit.

"So, you don't think that when I try to help you guys out, that I'm just playing hunter?" My uncle raised an eyebrow and gave me a concerned look.

"Jess, why would ask something like that?"

"Just answer me this: Do you think that I'm too weak to take care of myself on a hunt?" I asked, tears beginning to build and my voice shaking slightly.

"Jessica." My uncle breathed in disbelief. "Why the heck would you ask me that question?" He demanded.

"Please. Just answer it." The tears began to fall down my cheeks and my uncle held my face in his hands.

"Hey. You are the strongest girl I know. I've known my fair share of female hunters. And you are just as strong as they were, if not stronger. Why would you question that?" He forced me to look at him as he spoke.

"Why do you think?" I said, staring at my uncle as comprehension began to dawn in his eyes.