Chapter 58

"No Dad. I've been trying to figure out who it could be, but I don't have any sure ideas yet." I told him before walking out of the house. I hadn't even been home for an hour and already he was, like, interrogating me. It was annoying. It had been a couple of days since the last Jack attack, so I was extra wary today. I knew the next one was coming soon.

"Hey." Penny said, coming up next to me. I groaned in response before putting on a burst of speed. I really didn't want to talk to anybody right now. I just wasn't in the mood for people. I ended up in the park, up where no one would find me. I had climbed this giant tree and swung myself down on the top of the roof of one of those picnic pavilion thingies. I just sat there, staring at the horizon, not really focusing on anything. Until I realized that someone had joined me. I looked over to see Garrett sitting next to me.

"Hey. You okay?" He asked as I stared at him. I shrugged.

"I guess. I don't know." I pulled my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on them. He didn't say anything.

"You know, Jess, I can't seem to figure you out." He said finally and I looked at him.

"Is that a good thing?" I asked. He nodded, laughing.

"Its no fun if you can figure someone out right away. But, its more than that. Seems to me like, you can't seem to figure yourself out." He said, but I didnt quite understand.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked defensively.

"Most people have a certain way that they do things. What they do, say, eat, wear, all that stuff." He looked at me, studying me quietely. "But, its like you haven't figured that stuff out yet. You haven't really found you yet."