Chapter 47

Skipping a couple of weeks to Jess's 12th birthday! Yea!
JESS P.O.V.

I wasn't sure how I felt when I woke up this morning. I was still mad at my dad and still ignoring the kid but I was also happy about my birthday. You know what, I think I'll let Dad off the hook. Just for today. I thought to myself as I climbed out of bed. I was 12 now, mature and adult. Now was the rime to prove to my dad that I was ready to hunt.

"Morning Dad." I said, seeing that he was already up.

"Oh, so you're going to talk to me now? What's so special about today that it could get you out of that bad mood?" He teased, winking as he stood up. "Happy birthday Pie Thief." He told me, kissing the top of my head. I smiled. "Hey Ian. Did you sleep well?" I scowled as he turned his attention to the little boy getting out of bed.

"Uh-huh." Ian gave me a wary look as I gave him a cold stare. I had been treating him like that ever since he had joined us. I didn't want to and I didn't have to accept him. But today was going to be different. Today was my day. Dad always went out of the way to try and make days like this as special as possible. And today he didn't disappoint. We left Ian with Uncle Sam and we didn't talk about him all day. It reminded me of how it used to be. I was happy. But then we got back to the motel room and Dad had to go and end it badly.

"Hey, Jess, why don't we go for a drive and talk?" He said and I stupidly agreed. As soon as we got in the impala, me sitting shotgun for the very first time, Dad immediately started talking about him. "Jess, I wanted to talk to you about Ian." As soon as he said that I groaned and glared out the window. "This is what I'm talking about about. Why do you hate him so much?" He asked and I shrugged. "Jess. Answer me. Why do you hate Ian so much?" He demanded gently.

"I don't know. Why did you have a kid with a woman who wasn't Mom?" I muttered but he still heard me.