Trying To Get Them Back

Erik

I've worked all week and tried to talk to Tabby and the boys but every time I do she ignores me or takes them inside. Tanner's apparently living in her apartment now that Gary moved out but he's barely able to move so she's always helping him and the boy try to pick up his legs. It's kind of cute. Although I saw him pull her into a kiss yesterday. She just grinned and went on to take him to see his daughter. Then a camo painted camaro was dropped off this morning. It's gorgeous. I'd like to have it myself. I hear Tabby beat on his door as I walk to my car.

Come on Tanner!

He walks out in his shorts pulling his shirt on to over his bandages as she drags him out to the car.

Tabby. What the hell? This cost to much. Send it back.

She scoffs offended.

Uh no! It's the same car you had just a year newer and it has a better motor. You know how hard it was to get this for you? Now stop complaining and take it.

He shakes his head still shocked as she pulls him to the car excited to give the car to him.

Don't you like it?

He looks her guilt on his face.

Aw sweetie, I love it but it's to much. Why'd you buy me a car? I can't do anything like that for you.

She laughs amused.

Because Abby will be coming home soon and you're gonna need a way to get her to the doctor and I only know of one car that you loved and that was yours so here it is and I didn't ask you for anything.

I open my door and get in my car so they look at me but she quickly looks away. I need to get to her before she runs off Sunday. Tomorrow's the car/bike wash and they've been advertising it all month. Yesterday I saw Tabby sitting on a motorcycle while Tanner was talking to her. That was interesting.  I head on to work but the schools buzzing about all the hot models in town for the big wash. The guys can't wait to take their cars but the girls shrug it off. I push through the day when someone walks past my room with Mrs. Rogin. Then I hear a door close but I continue grading papers, until she opens my door.

Mr. Baker? Sorry to interrupt but we have guests. This is Elisabeth Silps, Felicia Green and Tabitha Winkle. They've been sent over to give our students information on safe driving.

I smile nodding at her.

Okay, go right ahead.

They breezed through the room in their tiny dresses. Giving out flyers and talking to the students using Tanner's accident as well as a few other local students as references.

So we'll be seeing you tomorrow if you drive. Or if you just want to come out to help support the cause. We'll be there ready to wash your car or bike and feed you of course. 

They laugh telling the class about the grill event going on with the wash. They sign some autographs then Mrs. Rogin opens the door and they leave.

Mr. B wasn't that your girlfriend?

Ronnie asks so I laugh.

Something like that.

He chuckles.

Oh I get it. You're just tappin it...

I look up at him irritated.

Ronnie. You will refrain from talking about her or my children that way. Teacher or not we will fight.