New Years

today was New Years Eve. we had flown home on the 27th since the guys had a game the next day. i was at the rink right now since the boys had an afternoon game. i was standing behind the bench getting towels or waters for the guys as they came off.

we ended up winning the game 3-1. the guys were all buzzing in the dressing room. i walked over to Tyler's stall letting him know he had an interview after he got dressed. he grumbled but agreed telling me to wait for him so we could drive home together.

i went into the player's lounge and opened up my laptop looking through the listings for nearby apartments. i was having problems finding anything that was nice and accepted pets. finally after a half hour i found a nice apartment in the complex two lots down from my current one.

i called the landlord and she told me to swing by the apartment later in the day so i could see it before i bought it.

Tyler walked behind me and looked over my shoulder

"is that the place you're looking at buying?" he asked almost sounding disappointed.

"yeah I'm going there later to check it out if you want to come. i would really appreciate it."

"of course I'll come. i need to make sure this place is up to standards if you're going to live there."

we linked arms and drove over to my potential apartment. we sung along to the radio as Tyler drove my truck.

we pulled up to the apartment building and it looked nothing like the picture i had seen. it was run down and looked like nobody trust worthy would ever live there.

we went to the office and a sketchy looking guy in a stained shirt. he walked us up a creaking stair case past the broken elevator.

he unlocked a door and it swung open into a run-down apartment. i opened one of the draws in the kitchen and had a mouse run across the floor right in front of me.  without thinking i jumped up right into Tyler's arms.

i turned my face to look at his and realised he had done the same. our noses were almost touching and all it would take was one of us moving an inch or two forward.

"Eli we can't do this. not now. you need time to process and move on get over Jackson. i wouldn't feel right doing this not now." he said looking away.

the disappointment felt like a rock plunging down to the bottom of my stomach. i knew Tyler was right but i didn't want him to be.

he put me down and we walked out of the apartment as quickly as we could.

"this sucks I'm never going to find a place." i said once we got into the car. i rested my head on the steering wheel.

"well why don't you just live with Jordie and I. we have that spare room where we keep all our games and stuff but we could clear it out. i know it would be nice to have a girl there to keep us guys under control. what do you say?"

"only if Jordie is okay with it."

i saw him pull his phone out of his pocket and type something on the screen. after a few minutes of driving i heard his phone ding before he said

"Jordie is already clearing out the room. we can go and grab a bed and stop at Ikea in a few days. until then you can stay with me in my room."

"thanks Ty. i really appreciate it." i said grabbing his hand and squeezing it.

we drove home so we could get ready for the new years eve party at the rink. when we pulled up i ran to the apartment since i only had a few hours until we had to be at the rink.

i went into the bathroom turning on the shower. i washed my hair and body before hoping out and wrapping the towel around my body and walking into Tyler's room. he was laying on the bed, his eyes looked me up and down before he quickly got up and left the room trying to keep his eyes on the floor.

i laughed to myself before i walked over to the space in the closet that my clothes now took up. i found one of my favorite dresses and a pair of nude heels. i did my hair in loose waves and did some light makeup before joining the guys in the living room.

Jordie wrapped his arm around my shoulder. the guys were in dress pants and shirts. we took Tyler's nice sports car over to the rink while Jordie drove his own.

Tyler looked like he was out of a car commercial. i had to tear my eyes away from him and focus on my hands.

we pulled up to the rink and got out walking down to the ice where everyone was skating around there were food and drinks all along the benches and everyone seemed in a better mood then the usual stressed pregame atmosphere.

i watched Tyler skating with some of the kids while i sipped on my beer. i was talking with some of the wives and girlfriend who i knew.

 Ally and i were starting to skate onto our third beer in two hours. we were feeling a little tipsy but were able to skate with each other's help. it was a minute until midnight when Jamie skated over to us and said

"sorry but i have to steal this girl away till midnight"

Ally skated off with him and i began teetering on my skates the alcohol beginning to kick in. i felt myself falling back ward but right before i was about to crash a pair of arms wrapped around me catching my fall. 

I looked up to see Tyler looking down at me. i saw a familiar glint in his eyes and i knew he had been drinking. before i did something we would regret i stood up and skated to a bench untying my skates.

as the count down ended all the couples locked lips while Tyler and i stood across the rink looking at each other. i turned and walked down the hallway out to the car garage to get some air. i was leaning against the hood of the car when Tyler walked out.

silently he sat next to me for what seemed like minutes but was probably only seconds.

"this sucks having to pretend i don't have feelings for you when i do trying to be friend when i want to be more." i said running a hand through my hair.

"it's only temporary. one day I'm going to get you. it might just take some time." he said getting in the car.

this was just how it would have to be and that killed me inside.