Three Years Later

i was in Africa right now on a volunteer trip. i had been asked to come as a medical supervisor for some of the university students.

it was an awesome opportunity and the villagers were all so welcoming and grateful for anything they received. it was a two month trip and we spent a lot of our time building different things for the town.

the first two weeks were spent building a school for the children. we then got a week off where we spent time with the locals learning how to cook.

i was boarding with a very sweet woman and her two young children who i had grown to adore. the women actually spoke quite a bit of English. her kids were really sweet and i got tons of pictures with them so i wouldn't forget them when i left.

during the break we also got to go on a safari and we went on a fishing trip. it was a lot of fun and the kids taught us some games and we played soccer with them all the time.

after our one week break we went back and built a small medical center that was stocked up with basic medical supplies. some of the doctors were staying down here for longer to help treat people but i couldn't since i had to return to the Dallas Stars for training camp.

we were nearing the end of the trip. there was only three days left but it was really closer to 2 since we had to drive to the nearest airport.

for the last few days we had been making preparations for a well to be dug on the outskirts of town. before the people would have to walk two hours both ways to get water and now it wouldn't be more then a half hour trip.

i watched as the drill went through the dry soil and water began to  spring out. the rest of the day was spent constructing the well.

our final day was spent with the families we had been staying with before we had a big party with everyone in the town. there was music and dancing and we didn't go back till the early hours of the morning.

i only got a couple hours of sleep before i had to get up to say goodbye to my family and board the bus. i hugged them each goodbye and gave the children the stuffed animals i got them on the safari and i gave their mom a basket of medications and some new clothes for her and her children. she packed me a basket of food for the ride home and the kids gave me brackets they made me.

i got one final picture of us all before giving them all one final hug and boarded the bus. i felt a few tears fall down my face knowing i would probably never see them again.

i was looking forward to having contact with the outside world again since i wasn't able to contact anyone back home or get news about what happened during off season.

it was a six hour drive to the airport just to take a flight to Italy which would then connect the flight back to New York and from there we went our own ways. some were going to Boston making me think of Tyler and how much i missed him. Some were going to Toronto while i was flying back to Dallas.

it was a long day and i had lost track of if i had gained time or lost time. all i knew when i landed in Dallas was that i was exhausted. i walked through baggage claim and grabbed my three bags before carrying them out to the waiting area. i turned on my phone to see a message from Jordie saying he was picking me up and to meet him at the front of terminal 2.

i found my way through the see of people looking at a clock seeing it was 10 at night. i searched through the crowd until my eyes fell onto Jordie standing with two coffees. i walked over to him and he handed me one of the cups.

"so how was Africa?" he asked

"good except i had no contact with the outside world." i said laughing

"wait you didn't hear about the trade then?" he asked

"no what trade. Jamie didn't leave did he? oh my god who left. this can't be good." i said panicking

"Eli relax okay we lost Eriksson and a couple prospects to the bruins. but we got Rich Peverly, Ryan Button and Tyler."

"wait Tyler?" i asked confused

"Tyler Seguin you dummy. he's here in Dallas now."

i was silent not sure how to react. it had been almost two years since i had spent time with Tyler remembering him asking about the bruises on my arm. people change a lot in 2 years, Tyler had gained a reputation as a partier.

"i thought you would be excited." Jordie said

"i am it's just it's been so long since I've seen him i don't know if things will be weird between us. or how things will change." i said drinking my coffee.

"trust me after a couple days you two will be right back to where you were four years ago. but i do have some other news for you. with Tyler moving down he needed a place to crash so we decided he would move in with you and Jackson while i move in with Jamie and Ally. i mean only if you're okay with that it's just he only really knew you so we thought it would help with the transition to Dallas."

"yeah no it's cool with me. what did Jackson think though?" i asked

"well he wasn't exactly happy but it's your apartment so it's your choice." Jordie said as he threw my bags into the back of his truck.

we got in and on the way home i fell asleep.

i woke up the next day with a pair of arms wrapped around my waist. i rolled over to see Jackson fast asleep. i moved his arms from around my waist and got up walking into the kitchen and began making waffles. a pair of arms wrapped around my waist and looked down to see tattoos all over them.

"Tyler!" i yelled spinning around wrapping my arms around his neck. he swung me around before placing me down.

"you're making my favorite i see." he said looking to see the blueberry waffle batter.

just then we heard a voice clearing his throat. we pulled apart to see Jackson with his arms crossed. i walked over to him and pecked his lips trying to calm him down. his hand went to my hips his nails digging into my flesh as he leaned down and whispered

"don't let that happen again." he then released me and grabbed a waffle sitting down and eating while watching the news.

Tyler and i sat down at the table. Jordie was right things went right back to normal. we talked about Africa and Boston before we had to go to the rink for a practise.

when the guys were on the ice i went to a room and lifted my shirt to see the cuts and bruises from Jack's fingers.

i put my shirt down not wanting to think about it. i was happy i had a boyfriend and now my best friend. everything was good. it'll get better.