make an impression

Tyler had been playing amazing these past few weeks and was now rate as the number 1 draft pick. it was crazy to think that in a year and a half he had gone from almost being cut from the team to leading the team in points.

my feelings for him had grown over the years but i always supressed them. he couldn't afford distractions if he was going to make it first round. i also couldn't risk him rejecting me. it was best if i just supressed and hid my feelings from everyone.

right now i was on a plane down to Dallas. it was a week until Christmas and i was going down for a five day training camp so i wouldn't be back until Christmas eve. once i landed back in Plymouth Tyler and i were going to meet my parents back in Brampton. we were staying at my aunt's while he stayed with his family.

suddenly the captain's voice came on the speakers telling everyone to return to their seats as we were going to begin our descent. i grabbed my pack of gum and popped a piece in my mouth and within a half hour i felt the plane touch down on the run way. once the seatbelt sign was turned off I stood up and tried to reach my bag but during the flight it had been shifted back and my 5'2" build couldn't quite reach.

"do you need some help with that miss?" a mysterious voice asked

i turned around to see a very tall guy who looked very familiar

"thanks it must have moved during the flight." i said as he reached over me and grabbed my duffle bag

"I'm Jamie Benn by the way, what's your name?" he said handing me my bag

"I'm Elizabeth but everyone calls me Lizzy or Liz. you play with the Stars don't you?" i asked as we began shuffling off the plane.

"yeah so what brings you to Dallas?"

"I'm doing a training camp with the University here. I'm hoping to attend on  scholarship next year." i said as we made our way to baggage claim.

"well here is my number in case you need someone to show you around next year or a friend to talk to." he said handing me a piece of paper.

"thanks" i said as he walked off with his bag. he waved goodbye before i grabbed my hockey bag and walked out to the waiting area. i saw a man holding a sign with my name on it. i recognized him as the scout who had invited me down and walked over to him.

he threw my equipment in the trunk of a car before driving me to the university. since most of the students were going to be at home for the Christmas break the coaches decided it would be a good idea for us to room with a player from the team so they could mentor us.

when we pulled up to the university i was greeted by a tall blond girl with big brown eyes. i immediately felt intimidated by her, it looked like she had walked out of a magazine.

"Hi, I'm Alexandra but you can just call me Ally, you must be Elizabeth it's so nice to meet you" she said pulling me into a hug.

"you can call me Lizzy, thanks for letting me room with you." i said as she let me go

"oh sweetheart it's no problem i would have gone crazy being left alone without my roommate." she said in a deep southern accent.

i grabbed my bags and followed her into her room. her walls were covered in stars posters and memorabilia. it was obvious she was a fan. she showed me my bed and let me get settled before we went out for dinner at a local restaurant.

we were seated at a table near the back and after we ordered i saw a familiar face walk in. he walked up to us dragging another guy behind him.

"hey Lizzy this is my brother Jordie do you mind if we join you guys for dinner?" Jamie asked

i saw Ally's mouth drop as she looked at the two Dallas Starts.

"you okay if they join us?" i asked Ally. she simply nodded her head in response before the boys pulled out their chairs.

 Ally and Jamie were practically inseparable the whole dinner so Jordie and i got to talk to each other i told him how i wanted to become an athletic trainer and hopefully work with an NHL team. he gave me his number and told me to call him if i got in with the university so he could but my name in for the internship. at the end of dinner the boys refused to let us pay and insisted on driving us home.

when we pulled up at the college Ally and Jamie exchanged numbers before we said goodnight.

Ally couldn't stop talking about Jamie and once we got to the dorms i called Tyler to let him know about my day. he was happy for me but a little bummed that he didn't get to meet them. when i got off the phone Ally was still texting Jamie.

i put the brother's numbers into my phone before calling it a night since we had conditioning the next morning.

i was one of the lucky ones at conditioning, i was so used to the drills from training with the Whalers. i noticed some of the coaches taking notice and halfway through the day Ally came over and told me the coaches were really impressed with me.

after the conditioning day the rest of the four days went well. day two we were split up into four groups. the next day our group did dry land in the morning before we did puck work in the afternoon. day three was spent doing nutrition in the morning and power skating in the afternoon. day three was a normal practise in the morning and gym workouts in the afternoon.

the last day was a mini tournament. each group would play each other once before the top and bottom two faced each other in a final.

i was surprised when i was nominated as an assistant captain by my  teammates. things were going really well in the first game and i got two assists as we won 4-1. after that game one of the coaches pulled me aside and told me he was happy with my play. i could see some girls on the other team giving me dirty looks but i didn't think anything of it.

in the second game i was rushing down the ice on a two on one when my teammate passed it to me. the goalie overplayed it and i waited till she was down to shoot. i saw it go in the net and threw my hands up in victory when i felt a hard shove from behind. i hit the ice and felt a shooting pain in my shoulder before i blacked out.

i woke up in the medical room with a coach and two trainers standing over me. i went to push myself up off the bed but felt a pain shooting through my shoulder

"sit down we don't want you to pass out from pain again." the coach said

"what happened?" i asked more and more confused

"you had just scored and a girl from the other team took a dirty shot from behind and sent you down. you landed on your shoulder and it dislocated it now these trainers need to run some tests see how your head is." he said

"does this mean i can't play in the rest of the game?" i asked already knowing the answer

he nodded "but you should know you really impressed me and the other coaches and players. that girl has been sent home and won't be playing with us next year but we hope you will be." he said as he walked out.

that night i packed up my stuff and got ready to drive to the airport the Benn brothers were going to pick me up and Ally was going to see me off since she was the only one staying in Dallas

Ally and i exchanged numbers and promised to stay in touch. we had become close friends and i hoped to be playing with her next year but after not being able to finish the tournament i don't know if they'll give me a scholarship.

soon i heard the call for my plane and hugged everyone goodbye.

the flight attendant help me load up my bag before i sat down and put my headphones in and preparing for the flight home.

i wonder how Tyler will react to my shoulder?