chapter twelve

ellie's pov

every morning is the same. i hold my blankets tightly to my body and try and relish in their warmth while my mom knocks on the door at 9am to remind me i have work, but thats not till another 3 hours.

apparently its better to be early than late.

but this morning is slightly different, there isn't a knocking on my door with an angry mom behind it. there is no sounds to be waking me up.

i don't know whether to be happy or suspicious.

slowly making my way out of bed i look out of my bedroom window and out onto the fire escape, no mom hiding there.

i tiptoe out of my room and into the kitchen checking that window, nothing.

just as i start to think that climbing up a fire escape is something she really wouldn't do, i realise that it is something she would actually do.

my thoughts are interrupted by the sound of my front door bursting open.

"a-ha!"

i groan at the sound of my moms voice and stomp over to where she is holding a bunch of bags and dropping them onto the floor.

"how did you get in?"

she grinned, "i asked for your spare key, no more hiding from mama."

"and if i wanted to hide from 'mama'?" i asked her, quoting the word mama.

"then you're screwed." she shrugged, ignoring my glare. "anyway i need you to help me take the bags upstairs, the elevators broken."

i sigh, not putting up an argument as i know its useless, and pick up some of the bags and follow her outside making sure to skilfully shut the front door with my foot.

"hows that little fleabag doing? you got rid of it yet?" my mom asked, referring to sparta.

i groan, "okay, one, he is not a fleabag. and two, no i have not nor will i ever get rid of him."

"he's just so-,"

"cute? i know right." i cut her off, not really wanting to listen to her talk bad about my baby, i mean cat, like that.

she ignores me and walks ahead of me up the last flight of stairs, a sudden sadness hits me as i think about what she just said.

"why doesn't anyone like sparta?!" i yell frustratedly.

she pauses from where she was and pops her head over the railing above me, "someone agrees with me? awesome. who?"

my eyes widen, "uh, no one."

she frowns, "but you just said..." she gasps, "ellie may, are you hiding something from your mother!"

"yep." i deadpan, walking in front of her and out of the stairwell.

once i reach apartment 20, the one i know my mum was dropping all of this stuff too and i go ahead and let myself in going straight towards the kitchen.

"well... hi?"

i look up and see my aunties husband staring at me with a remote control in his hands.

"hi." i nod, "i was made to come here so i'm eating your food."

he looks me in the eyes, and i stare right back at him. this quickly turns into a staring contest which gets quickly ruined when my mom walks in and walks between us.

"dammit, rach! i was winning!" he huffed, turning back to the tv and leaving me in his kitchen.

i smiled in victory picked up a cupcake which probably isn't the best thing to have for breakfast but who doesn't need a sugar fix like this at 9am?

i hear my mom mimic him before walking over to me and picking up a cupcake too.

"so... what are you hiding?"

i just stare at her with a blank face, "i'm not hiding anything. i'm just choosing not to tell you 'cause none of you-," i point around the apartment, "can keep your mouths shut."

before she can respond i quickly grab another cupcake and shout goodbye to chandler, walking quickly out of there and back downstairs.

no way in hell was i telling my mom i was talking to the guy who i told her was my boyfriend once to get off of my back- now that is awkward.

/-/

A/N
sooooo... anyone else got it yet?
i just really wanted to show more of ellie and her home life so hopefully this didnt suck too bad. back to instagram next :)