Seriously?

"Yeah sorry I haven't had much time to do homework lately..." I said lamely.

"Does 'not having much time' involve what's happened to your face?" She asked confidently.

"Oh no, I... accidentally ran into a glass door... don't worry about it." She could see the lie easily. She frowned at me while my heart beat loudly.

"Whatever. Don't tell me. But if the number of missing assignments keeps growing then I'm going to have to call your mother." She said.

Almost all the adults in the town knew my father had passed. He was a popular guy around here. So instead of saying 'your parents' they would say 'your mother'.

"That won't be necessary, I'll finish them soon." I said quickly.

If my mom found out about this she'd probably kick me out of the house. She didn't really care about my grades or anything, she just didn't want to be questioned about her parenting by other adults.

"Okay. I'm sorry for cutting your lunch short. You can go." I walked out, feeling her piercing stare follow me.

I quickly walked to my locker then to my next class, successfully avoiding Mason and his group. I ran my hand over my face and could feel that the blood was mostly dry now, but had some sticky parts. I would go wash it off, but I couldn't risk running into Mason. I just pulled my hoodie higher to cover more of my face.

By the end of the day, I had managed to get out of school unharmed, and began my long walk home.

Ethan POV

Ace had sent most of us down to the streets and alleyways, while a few hid behind windows in our apartment complex. I was in an alleyway with Fox. We were quiet, listening for gunshots that would tell us the fighting had begun.

Those shots came after about half an hour of tense, focused waiting. Since Dominic's gang was trying to take our territory, we were better prepared for this than they were. We knew where to hide and where they wouldn't be able to see us.

I heard footsteps coming down the alley and tapped Fox on the shoulder getting his attention. We crouched behind the corner of the alleyway while I turned the safety off on my gun. Fox peeked behind the corner and nodded to me. We jumped out from the corner and shot the man's knees.

He shouted before stumbling to the ground. He raised his gun and started shooting at us. We jumped out of his aim and Fox kicked the gun out of his hand before he could get any more shots in. He then kicked his head, knocking him unconscious. Instead of killing him, Fox dragged him to the end of our alleyway, near the street, where he would probably be arrested. Ace would be angry if he heard, but we didn't want to risk life in prison just because of a minor turf war. Fox threw the gun to the side, which we would later bring to Ace.

We waited for a while longer and didn't hear any more gunshots. We heard more footsteps down the alleyway and Fox looked around the corner again. He frowned, but nodded, signaling that we could use our knives.

I jumped out and held my knife to the guy's throat, freezing when I saw a familiar face. It was the guy I'd seen at the liquor store yesterday. I saw panic start to fill his eyes and he started to tremble.

"What are you waiting for?" Fox said anxiously, stepping forward with his knife. I shoved the boy farther against the wall with my other hand as Fox came to close to him. My body prevented Fox from getting closer. He gave me a strange look.

"What? He's definitely not with Dominic."

"Seriously? Look at his face man." I looked and saw the cuts from yesterday, one with newly dried blood around it, like it had reopened.