You Have to Change

Start from the beginning

Tabitha come in here, I bought some things for you.

I smile. Wow, mom bought me something. She never buys me things. Oh God... it's probably something stupid, it always is. I get to the kitchen to find her standing at the counter with three large suit cases.

Um mom?

I look at her and them confused but she smiles.

I bought these and packed em for you so you could go see your uh... friends. Before you leave.

I hug her. I know she means well even if I'm against this but she apparently needs a break from me and my drama. Since dad and Devon left, we've struggled to move on. We don't talk much and she works constantly. I'm practically home alone all the time. I go to my room and call Maddie but she doesn't answer so I leave a message for her to call me then wait but mom yells.

Tabitha!

I walk down the hall to see what she wants.

What?

I asks annoyed that she's bothering me but she frowns.

Don't get all snooty with me. I'm going to the mall for a few things and you don't have a swim suit so come on. We'll get you one.

I look at her like she's crazy then.

Mom I don't plan on swimming while I'm there.

She laughs.

Please... You're gonna be there for nearly three months. You know you're gonna swim. Now let's go.

I grumble to myself as I walk to the car.

Oh quit it. We never do anything together. It won't kill you to spend a couple hours with your mother.

I puff, annoyed.

Yeah mom like you want to be seen with me. You're sending me away because of how I look and now you want to be seen with me in public. Excuse me if I don't jump right up believing that.

She frowns.

I know it sounds bad when you say it that way but I just want my little girl back. Not this dark, goth, hermit girl that hides herself all the time. I'm sorry if you don't understand honey but I you will one day. This is for the best.

I sit there quiet for a minute then turn to face her.

Okay mom. I'll do it, I'll do my part and try to make a change for the better but you have to accept me for who I am when I get back. Deal?

She smiles her green eyes softening as she glances over at me. Her short brown hair bouncing around her face.

Deal. But only if you lose the goth look.

I laugh

Okay mom.

We pull in and park. Ugh... I hate coming to the mall. People are so rude to me here. Just because I'm different they treat me like trash. We walk in and mom walks straight to Kohl's where we pick through the swim suits, then she insist I get some shorts and tank tops. I go straight to the black but she pulls me to the bright colorful things. After the torture's over we grab some new sandals for both of us but she insist I get a beach towel so I pick one and we head to the front of the store to check out. As we walk to the check out she grabs a beautiful black bag but it's huge. I look but just keep walking. I wanna get outta this place. We check out and she starts stuffing everything in the bag.