Chapter 6

Leaving Allena and her father behind I walk to the edge of the forest. The dark trees reach for the sky creating a dince canopy of green.

A feeling I can't describe over takes me.  Looking back I watch as far off lights star to fill the night from all the camp fires.

"Such bitter sweet sorrow" I listen to far off laughter and smile. "They'll be OK."

Taking a deep breath I walk into the forest. The trees seems to engulf me and hold me close. With steady feet I follow a narrow deer trial seeing it clearly with my new eyes.

"Adventure awaits right Saber?" I say to the kitten. Hes come out of my bag and back up to my shoulder.

He paws at the hair thats falling from my braid, but at his new name he starts to purr. I smile besides myself.

I continue walking and take in the beauty around me. My eyes fix onto the viberent greens of a nearby bush. I watch in wonder at the leaves that slowly turn brown and yellow right before my eyes.

I lean closer at the slight movment to see all the cells moving within the thin skin of the leaf. I smile and reach out touching the leaves only realize that even my feeling of thoch has changed.

I feel every tiny fiber that makes up the leaf. The small microscopic like hairs that line the bottom to the thin layers that hold it together against storms.  I take a deep breath dropping it suddenly feeling over whelmed.

I lean back against a tall Maple tree feeling its smooth bark under my fingers. I feel the stretch of the trunk as it grows taller inch by inch. I hear the rush of water it absords from the earth through it's roots.

"Everything is so alive!" My hand cluches my chest as I try to slow my speeding heart. I hear its constant fast thump in my own ears.

Thump..
Thump thump..
Thump thump thump...
Thump thump thump thump...

It keeps getting g faster and faster. I start to breath harder and harder. My lungs expanding to full only to deflate quickly and refill over a d over again.

Through all this I hear a small meow. A slight touch to my cheek. So soft and small I know its Saber. With shaking hands I reach up and pet him. Almost instantly I'm back to normal.

I open my eyes not knowing I had even closed them. Saber is sitting on my shoulder,  his new perch, look at me. His odd eyes watch me as if worried.

"I'm OK now." I scratch his chin fondly happy I'm not completely alone.

Taking a deep claming breath I push off the tree. I hear it moan as though sad I did.

Now fully clam I notice I can smell many things. The smells aren't mixed either I can pinpoint where they are.

Back the way I came I smell the fires from the camps that are about six miles away now.  The rich earth smell of decay mixed with the animal droppings. The rich smell of rain that's days old but still lingers in the ground. The smell of many animals rabbits, deer, mice, owls even spiders along with so many more. Their trails distink as if I could see them running it at this moment but its days old.

I look around me not nearly as freaked as before. I see tiger lillys blooming and ivy racing up the trees being closely followed by morning glories. Smiling softly I breath their scent in along with something else.

I catch the smell of something that makes me nervious. The smell is super fresh and super strong. It takes me back to the days father would work late and come in smelling of sweat.

I take a pause. breathing deeply again I know that's not my own someone is out here with me.

I listen hard and hear the racing heart beats of small animals as they hide and the pumping flow of blood of the larger animals that hunt them.

I hear the wind, very light, blow around the trees and small plants. Their leaves making a slight distracting movement.

I close my eyes not trusting them right now. The small light steps of many animals a good distance away. Seem louder as I listen more deeply. The insects grow louder then ever before as dark comes. Ignoring them I focuse even harder.

I hear a river rushing about a mile into the forest. Fish jumping in the currents. Beaverdamns being built, clams being cracked open by raccoons greedy for what's inside.

"No. Shorten your range. Come on you can do this." I whisper under my breath.  I then hear the steady breaths of what could only be a human, a human like me if you could call me that.

"Come out now. I know your there. What is it you want? Are you the one he sent?" I slowly open my eyes having a pinpoint of the stranger. Saber growls lightly and I pet him as he digs in his claws on my shoulder. I feel he would protect me if it came to it.

I hear the tree above me shift with weight. Looking up I catch a small movement something a normal person wouldn't see.

I look closer using my new sight and see a pare of glowing eyes much like my own but blue, light blue on the outside and dark blue on the inside. My heart beats loudly giving away my fear, but I stand strong.

I keep watch on those eyes as they pear down with such interest I shudder. They stand where I can't see anything but those eyes. The tree hiding them well.

I feel the wind pick up and catch the smell of the forest on them like they wear it with them with the slightest hint of rain.

I step back as they move.  A very large hand comes into view. To large to be a women's hand. It grabs the branch with a strong grip but not enough to break it.

"So your the new one he's chosen eh?" Comes  the most beautiful male voice I ever heard. I feel myself being drawn in but I growl my fangs sliding down in defense. I hear him laugh which makes my heart flips. I huff in annoyance.

"Now this is something. "He  jumps down from the tree landing on his feet much like a cat.

I see a bare of a man before me, a frame so huge he towers over me. His rugged beauty is seen in the rising moonlight. His dark brown shoulder length hair curls lightly from the humidity in the air and his sweat. His jaw Is covered in just enough hair that I fight the urge to place my hand on his cheek and kiss him to feel it against my lips. I take a step back as that thought crosses my mind.

Looking closer his skin is lightly tanned like mine. His hands have show the hard work they've done and been through. Much like my father's and the other men from our clan. I see his muscles through his slightly baggy shirt and I fight a moan. I mentally kick myself.

He looks at me with a studious look. Then his words hit me.

"What do you mean new one he's chosen? And what you mean 'this is something' am I the new thing now? " I ask curiously looking at him in confusion and wonder.

He let's out a barking laugh coming closer and closer. Saber hisses and swats at him his claws out.

"Let me have a look here." Is all he says not even minding Saber who has just relaxed as if nothing happened.