Chapter 2

I catch up to Jay Bee with ease. She turns to me holds out her hands and I take hold. We spin together laughing loud like we were still kids. The wheat like ends of the grass hit our arms and legs as we gain speed. As we become dizzy we count to three and let go out. We hit the ground breathless the tall soft grass catching us. We watch the world spin as we lay there.

"Raven would you take me with you?" Her sudden question leaves me confused for a moment. I catch on quick enough though for her not to notice.

"On stage? But of course. It has been a while hasn't it?" I watch her thought the grass. Her face is red and ugly with sorrow, the opposite of when she's smiling. The sun makes her tears look like glittering diamonds sliding off her cheeks. I slide my hand through the grass taking hers in mine. She turns to me taking it in a tight grip.

"No Jay Jay I wouldn't. I couldn't." My honesty shocks even me. I thought if someone asked to go along I'd let them but to find I can't do that.

Her lip quivers slightly. I shake my head at her sadly.

"My journey won't be like yours. Mine will be hard, rough, and unknown. I wouldn't want this for anyone. Making them outcasts with me. Making them leave their families behind along with everything they've ever known. I couldn't and wouldn't do that, most definitely not to my family. You guys have always been there for me even after you found out I was chosen. So no Jay Jay. No and I'm not sorry." I squeeze her hand hard before I look back to the sky.

"Even though I'm the oldest your more grown then even me. I just want to help is all." By the less quiver of her voice I know her tears have stopped.

"Jay Bee you do help more then you will ever know." I let her hand go as hear foot steps coming close. Your guy friend is coming." She sits up on her elbows and looks at me in slight surprise.

"What?" At her odd look from me to in the distance. I see him indeed headed this way. Only he is still fifty feet away. I heard him knowing it was him and that he was walking to us but he's so far off. My gut twists hard and my heart races.

"I_I have to go Jay Bee." Without waiting for her reply I speed off not looking back at her still stunned face.

.....
After escaping Jay Bee and hiding from the clan I sit on the tall grass under the growing night Sky. Watching as the stars come out one at a time to play. I watch them for a while then look over at the fires of the camps.

I watch the families around them serve food and drink. The young ones laughter can be heard closely followed by the adults. All are happy and don't seem to notice that I'm missing. It hurts a bit but I keep watching.

I smile as I see the layout of our temporary land being built. They have bent down and cut out a clearing in the tall grass. The big tents already set in place just the smaller ones are left for in the morning.

Lifting the kitten from my lap I lift it  to my shoulder. He purrs softly as I scruff his head. The mother and other kittens have all gone leaving him here with me.

"Two pees in a pod right little guy." I stand and walk over to the tree line. Tall trees stand before me and I grab my skirts wrapping them around me tight so I can climb the tree. I go to reach for a branch but stop  suddenly. I think of how i could tell Mike was coming when he so far away.

'Has it started?' I look to the gray kitten perched on my shoulder. He rubs his head against my chin, his gray fur tickling. I take that as a sign and just jump up into the tree.

Six branches up I look down at the ground and know that it really has started. I'm to leave everything I know and love behind. I curl up in the tree and close my eyes as I let my tears come. The little kitten leaves my shoulder to curl up in my arms. I soon fall into a nightmare one I'll never forget.

....
Standing alone on the high terrace of an old Victorian house I've never seen I look out seeing a crowd of people mulling about. Many have their heads together as they laugh. Their cloths very odd to me. Their hairstyles of rainbow colors and bobs draws my focus. One women looks my way her eyes an icy blue her hair matching. I feel a cold hand land on my shoulder.

"How's the baby today my slave? Is he growing in your womb well?" A husky voice says behind me. The hand travels to my belly as he feels the big bump. I turn to him with utter disgust. His eyes, blue in the center around the pupils and purple around the blue, watch me. A dark challenge in their depths.

"You are mine Raven. My changed bird forever. My toy, and slave. We've been through this before. I defeated you and my brother, yet you still defy me." His sharp clawed fingers grab my chin tipping my head back he laughs wickedly as he plunges his fangs into my neck.

...
The next morning I wake with a start almost falling from the tree. The dream still fresh in my mind. I shudder and feel my neck. Finding nothing I breath a soft sigh.

I look to the sounds of everyone getting ready for a day of entertainment. I sigh knowing that mama will want to me to preform my dance. I put the now awake kitten on my shoulder and jump down unwrapping my skirts. A pleasant wind blows by me and I smile as I pick up on the smell of food. My stomach growls loudly and the kitten meows as if to agree. I start to head to the grounds that everyone set up, kitten riding shoulder the whole way.

"Mama are you around? I need to speak to you." Upon saying this she comes around the corner of one of the large tents.

"Oh there you are baby girl I was starting to worry you decided to leave sooner." She says her eyes showing sadness and I change my mind about telling her till after tonight.

She grabs my hand in hers and I notice how much age has taken on her for the first time ever and I feel my heart break with sadness.

I let her lead me into the changing tent and laugh when she starts fussing over what to put me in tonight.

She finally settles with a top of deep electric blue that's barely there just enough to cover my large breasts with see through selves that fall off my shoulders. Leaving my toned lightly tanned stomach and shoulders showing. A matching beaded skirt that show my ankles follows.

She then adds the many scarves all different shades of blue and green. She adds the bells placing them in a single row on the two blue scarfs that lay over the green ones blending beautifully. The gold and silver coins are placed on the three green scarfs. Lastly the gems of deep sapphire and forest emerald  to the skirts making them gleam and shine. I smile knowing she made this all by hand.

She takes my very long raven black hair that falls in curls around my waist. She pulls it half up showing off my odd pointed ears, kinda like an elf's. She then puts gems in it of every kind from rubies to emeralds to sapphires and pearls making it shine and gleam.

She smiles at her work and digs in her jury box. She places a hoop earring in one ear and feathers in the other. She slides silver bands of leaves up my biceps than bangles around my wrists. She adds anklets to my ankles where they gleam with their stones of emeralds and pearls. She then looks at me smiling tears in her eyes and I smile back.

"Oh my beautiful baby girl." She says and then she reaches around her neck and takes off the neckless that she has never taken off and she clips it around my neck. The beautiful moon stone set in silver falls against my breasts. I touch it and look at her my eyes swimming with tears.

"Oh mama thank you." I say knowing just what it means to her. She just smiles and pulls me in a tight hug.

"I love you Raven Lee don't you ever forget that you hear me no matter where you go take this with you and I'll be able to hear and see you always OK my baby girl?" She says kissing my forehead. I can only nod as I let my tears fall.

We hear a horn sound and we know it's time for the show to begin. She steps back and kisses my cheek.

Whipping at my wet cheeks I turn and head out the changing tent. I walk a little instead  to the very large tent that's housing the spectators or as we call it the center ring. I feel my heart jump with the joy of my coming dance, my sadness leaving slightly. I walk in and stand center as the band starts to play and a blue green light lands upon me. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.