Chapter 4

I walk with Allena through the camp many move away from me. Wincing quietly at the brightness and the intensity of my new vision I turn my head. Facing away from the fire I notice mama comes running to me and hugs me tight.

I hug her back but feel myself hold back for I feel strength flow throw me. I fear I'll crush her very easily. I smile at her hidding my ever growing concerns, and walk with her into our own tent. Allena smiles bittersweetly at me before leaving the tent.

"That was so beautiful Raven Lee. " mama says joy ringing in her voice. I shudder at what she might be talking about.

"The way you danced was just beautiful. The crowd was so in tune with you."  She starts to help me take off the gems that are all over the skirts, and scarves. Her well trained hands miving way faster then my own.

I give up on the gems there and get the ones from my hair. My fingers weaving faster here. Having done my hair even before I learned to bance. The gems quickly fill up the box mama has laid out in front of us. My hair falls in beautiful raven black curls and waves down my back as I pull the last gem free.

Mama lifts the box of gems up putting them away. She returns with a hay bristeled brush and combs out the many corkscrew curls in my hair. By the time she's almost done the waves reach my waist. Their springs weak and wavy now.

She plces the brush down and takes off my anklets and bangles. They clange together making soft music.

"Mama I wanna keep the rest on. I know you made it by hand." I see her eyes fill with tears as she slowly nods.

"Very well Raven" she touches my cheek softy tucking a stray hair behind my ear. I stair up into her face. I see the age lines there. The crows feet at her eyes the laugh lines around her mouth. My heart clinches. She smiles and turns away from me gathering up the items.

"Mama....." I say slowly hesitant waiting till she looks up from putting away the gems and things.

"Mama I... I have to leave tonight....the changes....their upon me." I say watching her reaction.

"I know baby girl I could tell from your dance." She says and I let out a sigh at her ever calmness happy she is so strong where I am not.

"Mama I'm scared."standing I hold my arms around me. She smiles at me and I know she already knows this.

"I dont know where I'm to go or what I'm to do." My voice squeaks and breaks.

"Darling you'll be fine and amazing out there you will wear this curse as a gift. I'm just sure of it." She looks me in the eye. I smile at her lightly lacking her confidants.

"Why did our ancestors have to make that deal?" I huff and mama laughs lightly.

"Well you can ask them that when you meet the rest of them on your journey." She smiles pulling me into a tight hug. I step back and start to pace around the tent, again feeling my strength to crush her.

"Let's start packing your bags babygirl. " she says lightly watching me knowing my thoughts are going ninety to nothing.

I keep pacing thinking of the fastest way to find the others like me being we never die.

I jump when mama grabs my arm not hearing her move but when I look into her beautiful face I realize that she is seeing something far away, her eyes a glassy white. She opens her mouth and the voice that comes forth is not hers.

"Young Raven Lee it is time you join the others of your kind so that you may serve me. You will find the first of us deep in the forest to the north of here she will not wait long. By the first rays of tomorrow's morning sun she will be gone. I suggest you hurry you never want to keep me waiting, never " I listen in terror at what the deep male voice says and I feel my feet give out from under me. Sliding to the ground letting mama stand before me my heart beats fast.

My mother's eyes return to their beautiful normal green blue and yellow colors, as she looks down at me. Just from her look I know she remembers what the voice said. She grabs me to her holding me tightly. Her sweet smell of Jasmine fill my nose and I'm hit with reality. I hug her back just as tight as my tears fall like never ending waterfalls.

My whole world just changed. Changed before I could do anything about it. Before I could think of what I was gonna do. Instead it was chosen for me. Would I always have to live for others?

Mama is the first to pull away. She looks at me with so much love my heart breaks. She reaches out no ounce of fear and wipes my tears.

She then does the unexpected. She touches my mouth and I relise my fangs have come down slightly. I jump to hide them but she smiles and shakes her head.

"Never worry about hiding from me baby girl. I'm your mama and I love you with fangs and glowing eyes or without them. Your my baby." Holding out her hand to me I take it as she helps me up. She brings over a huge bag. The color is that of a dark green. Faded worn in a few places she holds it out to me.

"Was a gift from a young man the day you were born. Such a strange kind fellow, with glowing blue eyes. Much like how yours are yellow and gold. I reckon I know just what he was now. He was like you. Seems he knew before any of us ever did just what you'd become." She gazes far off for a bit. I study the bag and odd material.

"What's it called?" She looks to me and smiles.

"A duffel bag. He told me that it was to be yours when the time was right. And the time couldn't be more right." She pats my hands and starts to wonder around gathering things. I pay no mind. My focus now on the bag and the mistory man who gave it to me.

I sit on the floor studying the stitching and strap. This is nothing like I have ever seen. I fiddel with buckel till I figure out just how it works.

"This has to be a new invention. " mama just lughs at me like she used to when I was a kid and had found something I thought was new to the world.