Goodbye Haymitch- Part 2

I took a deep breath, before walking in first, Willow close to my side and Peeta not too far behind. As soon as Haymitch saw us, his face lit up, and he carefully proped himself up on the pillow. Somehow, he had become worse over the past couple of hours since I last saw him- his eyes were losing more colour, and his whole face just looked exhausted. ''Uncle Haymitch.'' Willow said, rushing over to him, and taking him into a hug.

''Hello you.'' He chuckled. ''Come on, no tears. I've already had to tell the missus off.''

''I-I'm sorry, it's just-''

''I know, you don't have to say.'' He said, hugging her back. ''Ah here's my Rye.'' Haymitch smiled, pulling Rye up onto the bed, next to him and Willow.

''Uncle Haym!'' Oakley yelled, annoyed that she'd been left out. ''Oak-ee want to come up.'' She pouted.

''Come on then my petal.'' Haymitch laughed. She attempted several times to jump up by herself, but she was just too little, and each time she tried, she fell straight off again.

''Uncle Haym will you help?'' She asked, tilting her head to the side.

''Uncle Haymitch is a little tired sweetheart, why don't you ask your sister hm?'' You could see the disappointment in his eyes that he didn't even have the strength to pull her up anymore, but it soon passed once he was distracted by Oakley basically climing up the frame, holidng Willow's hand.

''Be careful darling.'' Peeta laughed slightly, leading me to the chairs, next to the bed.

''I'm always careful daddy.'' She smiled.

When we sat down, I let go of a breath I'd been, unknowingly, holding. I squeezed Peeta's hand for comfort, and sat there in silence, watching Haymitch and our children together. Willow sat at the end of the bed, laughing and joking, Rye at the side of Haymitch, showing him some drawings, and Oakley sat on her uncle's legs, giggling away. It was more than I could ever have hoped for, having someone else love our children the way Peeta and I did. Seeing Haymitch act so natural, and happy around them only made me realise how much of an impact he'd had on our lives. On our children's lives.

''You should all probably calm down a little now.'' I said, worried that they'd forget the real reason they were here.

''Katniss.'' Peeta sighed. ''Let them have some fun, yeah?'' He said, gently rubbing my thigh. He stared at me in a way that only portrayed his sadness. The sadness of losing someone, who could never be replaced, and the sadness of seeing me the way I was.

''No she's right Peeta. Come on kids, calm down.''

''But Uncle Haym, I want to play before Peter gets here.'' Oakley whined.

''We'll play later angel, I promise, but right now I need to talk to you. All three of you, okay?'' He explained, grabbing Willow and Rye's hand. ''It's time for me to say goodbye.''

''I wish you weren't so ill.'' Rye yearned.

''So do I kidda.'' Haymitch smiled wryly. ''But, I'm just glad I have you three here with me.''

''Uncle Haymitch is Pan coming soon?'' Oakley asked.

''Yes darling, Pan's coming. And when he does, you all have to promise me you'll be strong, alright? Because I know just how strong you all can be, your parents raised you well.''

''But we need you Uncle Haymitch, you can't go.''

''I have to buddy, and I'm so sorry I'm leaving. But listen Rye, you grow up just as you are doing now, talented, kind-hearted and tough- don't let anybody tell you how worthless you are, because my boy, you're not. You never will be. Promise me that you'll continue to be as caring, creative and as independent you are, because that way, you'll be the man I always hoped I'd see.''