Happy Birthday Peeta

It had been two weeks since Haymitch had told us the news and every day, the realisation he would soon be gone, sunk in. We'd agreed not to tell the children until after Peeta's birthday so we could all have one last family gathering, without Haymitch's illness being the main focus.

I lay in bed beside Peeta, waiting for it to turn 6am so I could go and set up the decorations downstairs- afterall today was his day. It was his birthday and I was determined to make it perfect. I watched his chest slowly rise up and down as he slept, his eyebrows furrowing slightly at, I guess, a dream he was having.

I quietly, swung my legs from bed and headed to the bathroom to get ready before I set up. Showering quickly, and slipping into a simple white dress with silk straps, I went to wake Rye up. ''Rye kidda.'' I whispered knocking on his door. ''Are you gonna come help me?''

His face scrunched up from tiredness, as he opened his eyes and yawned. ''Yep, I'll be down in a minute.''

''Alright, I'll see you in a bit.'' I said, closing his door and padding downstairs. Once I'd gotten downstairs I went down into the cellar to grab Peeta's presents and the decorations, but they were both missing. Confused, I walked back up the steps and into the kitchen, to see Willow blowing up the final balloon. ''You've done all of these?'' I asked in shock, looking around at the balloons pinned to the beams on the ceiling and presents piled high at Peeta's place at the table.

''I couldn't really sleep, so I started early.'' She shrugged.

''Well it's saved me time, thankyou darling.'' I smiled, kissing her forehead.

I continued to get everything ready by pinning up 'Happy birthday' banners, and laying out the party poppers on the table. Once everything was finished, Willow ran off upstairs to get ready and I helped Rye cook breakfast, or should I say he helped me. We both made some cheese buns, scones and bread twists and while they baked, we fried some sausages and bacon, as well as making some scrambled egg and tomatoes. ''Go on Mr, you've done enough. Go get changed.'' I said, as I put everything in the oven to keep it all warm.

After everything was ready, I went upstairs to wake and dress Oakley. ''Morning angel.'' I cooed, bending down to pick her up.

''Mu-ma.''

''Yes, muma.'' I smiled as I laid her down to change her. I took off her one-piece and put on her favourite yellow dress, which had a white bow tie at the back. Her blonde ringlets fell down her back in a waterfall, so I decided to plait two braids down her back, securing them with white ribbons. ''Go find Willow then sweetie.'' I said, giving her a little push.

Just as I'd finished dressing her the phone rang, and so I walked across the landing to answer it. ''BRAINLESS!'' I heard Johanna shout down the phone line. I started laughing at how happy she seemed and how pleased I was to hear her voice. ''Now, I'm sorry to disappoint, but this is actually for the birthday boy. Is he up yet?'' I shook my head smiling down the phone line and walked into our bedroom when Rye was wrestling with Peeta.

''You have someone wanting to wish you a happy birthday.'' I smiled, holding the phone out to him, and planting a gentle morning kiss on his lips. ''Go on you, scoot.'' I said pushing Rye from the room. ''I think Oaks needs your help getting downstairs.'' I said winking, telling him to go down and set all the food out with Willow.

''It's my birthday Jo, how do you expect me not to kiss my beautiful wife?'' Peeta said, winking at me and smiling. ''Thankyou. No I haven't opened them yet.'' He rolled his eyes at me. ''I guess I'll get one later tonight yes, no Jo, yes Jo.'' He droned down the phone. ''Thankyou Charlie, we'll see you soon kidda. Bye. Okay I'm going, yes, you'll call again later? Oh great.'' He said rolling his eyes again, but winking. ''Bye Jo, yes we love you too. Yep b-yes, goo-, okay Jo. Bye.'' He said, clicking the end call button and sighing from relief.