Chasing The Waves

''Bye you guys, I'll miss you!'' I shouted down the pathway to my parents, Rye and Oakley. I hadn't talked to Thomas at all since I'd snatched my hand away from him at the wedding. Weeks had passed and I suspected that he'd been avoiding me in school. It was finally half term, so I decided to surprise him. I was taking us up to District 4 for two days, just like I'd promised. I think he thought I was joking, but he was my best friend and I wanted to make it up to him. I trod down into the seam and over to his row of houses, knocking on the door. Susie answered and she gave me the biggest smile as she knew what I had planned.

''Come in darling. He's been in a mood for the past two weeks hopefully this'll cheer him up.'' She said giving me another smile. I must have stepped in their hallway hundreds of times since we became friends. I was always bringing over game I'd caught, pie's that Rye had made, or sometimes I'd come over to help his little brothers with their homework. Surprisingly, I was good at maths. Their house was small, but it always smelled of stew brewing and had a really homey feel to it. ''Thomas, you have a guest.'' Susie shouted up the stairs. ''He shouldn't be long sweetie, do you want a cup of tea or anything? I think I have a few tea-bags left.''

''Oh no, you keep them for yourself.'' I said.

''It's no trouble darling.'' She persisted. But I couldn't take what little they had away from them.

''Thankyou, but I'm okay. Look I know that Thomas will insist on paying for his ticket and hotel while we're there, and this is meant to be a treat, so here.'' I said handing her about 80 dollars.

''Willow I can't take that darling.'' She said, trying to give it back.

''Ma'am, take it. Get yourself and the lads something special.'' I said smiling at her.

''You're a good lass you know.'' She smiled, before walking off to the kitchen, just as Thomas was coming down the stairs.

''Oh hey.'' He said sheepishly.

''I'm not doing this whole 'I'm sorry thing'.'' I stated bluntly.

''Wouldn't expect you to.'' He retorted.

''Listen, get an overnight bag and preferably some swim shorts too we're out of here.''

Thomas' expression grew confused. ''Go on quick.'' He started to talk but I interrupted. ''No questions, and hurry up the train leaves soon!'' I shouted as I shoved him up the stairs. I followed him into his room whilst he frantically packed. I sat down on his bed and looked around. It hadn't changed one bit since we were kids. ''Aw cute.'' I said picking up a photo frame of us at 5 years old at a school Christmas party. He just rolled his eyes.

Half an hour later we were on the train. ''Are you going to tell me where we're going yet?''

''District 4.'' He almost choked on air.

''What!?''

''I told you I'd take you and I am.''

''Are you serious?'' He said, getting excited.

''Yes.'' I laughed, shaking my head in amusement.

''Willow you're the best'' he said squeezing me tight in hug.

''Well I try.'' I laughed.

''I can't believe we're actually doing this.'' He said giddily. Like many of the people in District 12, he had never left, not even for a trip. It was just too expensive.

The whole train journey Thomas spent looking out of the window, watching the country go by in awe. The attendant announced that we'd shortly be arriving in District 4. ''Wait what?'' Thomas said, confused.