Take Another Deep Breath

''Aunt Effie have you been here all night?'' Rye asked, as we all walked back through the hospital corridors, the strong stench of disinfectant still lingering in the air.

''I'm not leaving until your Uncle Haymitch is home.'' She snivelled. Effie's eyes were red-raw from crying and she had permanent black circles, painted under her eyes from the exhaustion. She sat there every day by Haymitch's side, holding his hand and cherishing every last moment. But, the mornings where she couldn't see him when he was doing his therapy, she sat on the luminous orange chairs, nibbling away at her, now non-existent, nails. ''You guys are leaving today right?''

''Just for a couple of days, the kids need their own beds. Will you be alright?'' Peeta asked, sitting down beside Effie, and giving her a hug.

''I'll be fine, I've got Hayms anyway.'' She smiled wryly.

We all sat on the chairs, patiently waiting for the doctor to let us know everything went well and we could see him. But that message didn't come. Not in the first hour, not in the second. Time just kept ticking on, as we waited to be let in. ''Daddy, why can't we see Uncle Haym yet?'' Oakley asked as she sat on the floor, colouring in her sketch book.

''We'll be able to see him soon Princess. Remember what I said yeah?'' Peeta said, stroking the top of her head.

''Yes daddy I know. I must'wunt get upset about Uncle Haym, because it made him upset too. Don't wo-wee daddy, I'll just give him a big hug.'' She smiled, continuing to colour in the blades of grass.

''That's my girl.'' He praised, crouching down to give her a hug, and some help.

Willow came walking down the corridor, holding a tray of coffee and orange juice for us all. ''Thankyou darling. Come on, sit next to me.'' I gestured, holding my arm out to her, once she'd passed out the drinks.

Yesterday, Willow was a ray of emotions. She was either extremely happy, or broken beyond repair, but right now she just look woeful. I think the realisation of losing Haymitch was starting to kick in, and the fact that Finn had told her everything and gotten together with her, only added to the confusion upon how she should feel. She sat there next to me, her hair messily braided and tired eyes, fiddling with her fingers. ''Hey, you alright?'' I asked, lifting her chin up.

''Yeah, I, I don't know, I just feel a little nervous about leaving him here.'' She explained.

''I know, so do I. But he's in good hands Wills.'' I said, wrapping my arm around her so she could lean on me. ''Everything will be alright, plus it's only a couple of days.''

''A lot can happen in a couple of days.'' She mumbled. Before I could say anything, a tall doctor, with hazel eyes and dark skin, walked towards us, delving into his pocket for a pen.

''You're all here for Mr, urm,'' he scans his clipboard for a moment, before continuing. ''Urr, Mr Abernathy, is that correct?''

''Yes, we are.'' Effie snivelled.

''Okay, so he's just come back from therapy, a little weaker than normal, but the anti-biotic will soon kick in. You can see him now, but just prepare yourselves for a rough week.''

''W-why? What's up with him?'' Effie panicked. ''Is he okay, oh I have to see him.'' She fussed, shooting up and heading through the door.

''Mr and Mrs Mellark yes?''

''Yes, pleasure to meet you urm-''

''Doctor Jambo. And trust me, the pleasure is mine, meeting my father's greatest triumph.'' He smiled, shaking our hands. And then it clicked. The same hazel brown skin, glowing radiantly, the eyes, even the chin- he was Cinna's son. Quickly shaking the thoughts from my head, I focused on what was important, and right now that was Haymitch.