Our Little Girl

I slowly became conscious again, dropping in and out of sleep everytime I tried to awake. But eventually, when I opened my eyes, I wasn't forced back into a deep sleep- I was awake. As I opened them, I was momentarily blinded by the bright lights above, until my eyes adjusted. My head still hurt a little, but I was glad I was finally awake. Next to me I heard the constant beep of my heartbeat, and attached to my arm was some sort of drip. ''Mum? Oh you're finally awake.''

I looked over to my side to see Willow sat beside me, holding my hand. ''W-what happened?'' I asked weakly.

''You collapsed, and then a pool of blood started seeping out of you. Luckily, we were already in the hospital. Do you remember that mum?'' She asked.

''Yes, we were visiting Haymitch.'' I remembered. ''Wait, how is he, is he alright?'' I sat up quickly, wincing at the pain still stabbing my abdomen.

''He's fine, worried about you though.'' She smiled. Suddenly it faded, and her eyes lost their happiness. ''I, I should go tell the doctor you're awake and tell dad.'' She said, standing up.

''Wait Willow.'' I shouted, she turned around, standing at the top of the bed. ''Does your father know?'' All she could do was sadly nod her head, before leaving me- alone. Something at the back of my mind was telling me that something wasn't right, and even I could feel that. I put my hand on my stomach, gently stroking it, awaiting for the Doctor's return. ''Mummy has you. Mummy loves you both.'' I whispered, as a tear fell down my face.

Suddenly, a Doctor came in, holding his clipboard, and making his way over. ''Mrs Mellark, I'm Doctor Charlesworth.'' He said, holding his hand out for me to shake.

''Urm hi.'' I whispered, sitting up more to get comfortable.

''So I'm aware you know that you were pregnant, with here it says twins.''

''Yes. That's correct.'' I told him, my heart suddenly tightening at the formality in his voice. ''I-is something wrong?''

''Unfortunately Mrs Mellark, you've had a miscarriage. One of your babies just wasn't strong enough. At this stage, you will have to give a still-birth, and afterwards I can talk to you and your husband about what happens next.''

''M-my baby.'' I whispered, feeling like everything had collapsed. ''W-why?'' I stuttered out.

''We cannot give you the definite reason, as these things happen and it's hard to tell why. However, judging by your blood levels, and how tense your womb seemed to be- we can conclude that it was a result of stress, and only one of your children could survive.''

The tears started rolling down my face, and I couldn't stop. No matter how hard I tried, they just kept on coming, the pain of not even being able to protect my child was too much. All of this was my fault. ''I'm truly sorry Mrs Mellark. I'll be back later when we can perform the C-section.'' And with that, Doctor Charlesworth left me there, crying into a pit of sorrow, but mostly a pit of regret. Regret for not telling Peeta and regret for not protection my unborn child.

Suddenly, the door burst open, and Peeta came running it, his hair sticking up in all different directions, and his eyes filled with worry. ''Peeta.'' I cried, as he came over, climbing on top of the bed. He slid his arms around my waist, and I snuggled into him, crying the hole in my heart out. ''I'm so sorry I didn't tell you.'' I sobbed. ''A-a-and now one of them is gone, and I can never forgive myself.''

''Shh. I know, it's not your fault Kas. You've tried telling me and that's all that matters.''

''Peeta, t-they said it was stress.'' I cried. ''I couldn't even protect them before they came into this world. I failed.''