Goodbye Haymitch- Part 1

''Muma, are we seeing Uncle Haym today?'' Oakley asked, swinging her legs whilst she sat on her highchair.

''Yes darling we are. Hurry up and eat your porridge now sweetie.'' I smiled, walking off to go make sure everyone else was ready. I had insisted that I be discharged for the night, and so I was given some pain killers, which instantly made any pain go away, and some crutches for support, as my abdomen was still quite weak.

Today, was the day when Haymitch would finally give his goodbyes- and I don't think I would ever be prepared. Peeta has stayed with him throughout the night so Effie could finally get some sleep, and so we were all meeting them both at the hospital. Last night, I slept with Rye beside me, he'd woken up in the middle of the night, his screams piercing through my body as he awake from a nightmare. Unable to sleep myself, I let him sleep behind me like when he was younger- watching his chest peacefully rise and fall.

Suddenly the phone rang, and I rushed over, as quickly as I could, to answer it, fearing something had happened. ''Katniss?''

''Peeta.'' I sighed. ''How are you? Is he okay?'' I asked frantically. The line stayed silent for a few moments, until I heard an escaped sigh leave Peeta's body. ''Peet?''

''He's gotten worse Katniss. Last night was awful, t-they had to restart his heart twice, and even Haymitch himself knows it's coming. You should get down here as soon as possible.'' It took a few seconds for my mind to register what Peeta had just said, the realisation not yet sinking in.

''O-kay,'' I stuttered. ''We'll be there as soon as possible. I love you Peet.''

''I love you too Katniss, I'll see you soon.'' And with that, the line went dead. I shakily put the phone down, as my hand trembled from fear. As I did, I turned around and walked down the hall-way, bumping into a crying Willow.

''Wills? What's up honey?'' I asked, taking her into an embrace.

''I-I heard. I picked up the phone as you answered and I-I heard it all mum.'' She wept. ''He's really going to go isn't he?''

''Shh, it's alright. You'll get to say goodbye. Shh, come on calm down, we'll all be okay.'' I hushed, resting my chin ontop of her head. ''Stop crying darling, shh.''

''I can't see him, not if he's like this. It hurts too much thinking about it.'' She sobbed, tears streaming down her face.

''If it helps, we'll open the door a little, and then you can talk through the door to him yes?'' Shh sweetheart.'' I cooed. Unexpectedly, I felt the baby kick at my stomach, making Willow jump slightly. ''See, even your little brother or sister doesn't want to hear you cry.'' I smiled wryly.

''I can't wait to meet you.'' She cooed down at my stomach. ''I bet you're going to be a little brat like Rye aren't you?'' She laughed gently through her tears.

''Oi! I heard that.'' Rye shouted, making us all laugh a little.

''Chin up Wills, it's time to use some of that strength.'' I said, kissing her forehead and walking into the kitchen.

When we arrived at the hospital, Effie and Peeta were waiting outside- sat on the hard plastic chairs, which over the past few days had become our second home. I walked straight into Peeta's arms as soon as we got there, sobbing into the crook of his neck. He held me close, and eventually, Rye came over and joined too- seeking our comfort.

''We'll be ok. We all we.'' Peeta smiled, looking around at our family. ''Effie, you know you'll never be alone don't you? You're as good as part of this family, with or without Haymitch.''

''Oh Peeta.'' She gushed. ''You all have such big hearts, no wonder Haymitch was so fond of you at the start.'' She said, holding back the tears. ''Truly, you're wonderful people.'' She smiled.