Start With What You Know Is Real

"Katniss!" I heard a voice shout. My body started to tremble, was I falling into the depths of hell or gliding into God's arms? "Katniss!" I heard the voice beckon again.

Suddenly, a weight dropped on my heart and I shot up. "Oh Katniss, you're awake." Peeta sighed, relieved. "You couldn't stop screaming and you wouldn't wake up, I was so worried." He said, holding me tightly.

"Y-you're alive." I said, touching his face to make sure he was real. "Is this heaven?"

"No baby, it was just a nightmare. You're fine, we all are." He persuaded me.

"Y-you were all dead and President Snow shot you all and everyone was on the floor and I was surrounded by your bodies and the blood and I just and- and- and"

"Shhh, you're getting yourself worked up." Peeta said, kissing my temple and calming me.

I shut my eyes and took a deep breathe. Start with what you know is real. My name is Katniss Mellark. I'm on a train to District 12- home. My children are all okay. Peeta is alive. We are all safe.

"I love you, stay with me." I begged, gripping him tight.

"You know I will. Always."

**

In the early morning light, the train finally pulled into the station and we headed home. The car drove us up through the town and into our village where our house stood unharmed. I buckled Oakley out from her seat and went to unlock the door, whilst Peeta and Willow grabbed the bags. ''Go on you, go get a few more hours of sleep. School tomorrow.'' I said to Rye, kissing him on the forehead.

''Okay.'' He said, running up the stairs and stopping halfway up. ''Mum, are you okay? I heard you screaming.''

''I'm alright now, just a nightmare. Go on get some sleep.'' I ushered him up the stairs. He lingered for a while making sure I truly was alright, before heading on up.

I don't remember the last time I had a nightmare so vivid, one where I couldn't bring myself out of it. Everything seemed so real, and even Peeta couldn't make it go away. ''I'll take her up mum.'' Willow said, grabbing a sleeping Oakley from my arms. I had no energy to say no and so I let Willow take her to bed, before collapsing on a chair, relieved that they were all safe. All three of them, upstairs where nothing could hurt them.

''Come on you, let's go get some more sleep.'' Peeta suggested, holding his hand for me to take. We made our way upstairs and I clambered straight into bed. Peeta opened the window and striped down into his boxers, before joining me. As soon as he got in, I buried myself into his chest and erupted in tears. ''Shh, it's okay.'' He comforted, hugging me tight.

''I'm so tired Peeta.'' I cried into his chest.

''I know, I know.'' And he did, he knew I wasn't just physically tired, but emotionally drained too. The past night had shattered me in a way which I hadn't felt for years. ''You'll be alright, I'm here.''

''I'm scared, what if I fall asleep and I lose you again?'' I snivelled.

''You won't, I promise. I'm right here, nothing will hurt you. Try get some sleep Katniss.''

''Okay.'' I said, snuggling into his chest. ''I love you.'' I whispered into his chest as my eyes started to shut, the exhaustion pulling me into a deep sleep.

''I love you too.''

**

My eyes fluttered open and I looked over to the clock, which showed it was 6am. Time to get up. I turned to my side to see Peeta fast asleep, and after deciding to leave him for a while, as he'd been awake half the night with me, I started to get ready.