She unwrapped the gum. At least it took her mind off food for a while.

She had been walking for a few minutes when she came to a crossroads. To her left there was nothing but trees and more trees. To her right, pretty much the same, until directly ahead there was a house - correction, a castle - so big and imposing she wondered how she'd managed to miss it in the first place. It was very grand-looking, its Gothic turrets silhouetted eerily against the night sky. Trailing ivy covered almost the entire front of its stone walls. Big iron gates sealed off the long graveled driveway keeping out those who didn't belong. It was like something out of 'Dungeons and Dragons'. Walking towards the gates, the gravel crunching beneath her feet she peered through the railings like a child pressing their nose against the window of a candy store. She smiled as she chewed on the gum.

And what a candy store.

The entire place was in darkness and from what she could make out it didn't appear there was anyone home. She couldn't see any sign of light and there were no signs of life. Thinking about what was inside had her drooling.

Food. And beds.

Huge great big, four-poster things with feather mattresses thirty inches thick. She imagined sinking into one of those mattresses and it made her sigh. It was enough to make her mind up. It was only for tonight. She'd never actually broken into a house before, but how hard could it be? And besides, if they were going to leave the place standing empty...

She jammed one booted foot against the railing, climbed up and tossed her bag over before dropping to the other side, landing smoothly on her feet. Picking up her bag she ran across the lush green lawn, past trellises, fountains and enormous stone pots billowing with flowers and plants and headed towards one of the long stained-glass windows on the ground floor. Pretty reds and blues and diamond shapes. It seemed a shame to break it. But a pretty window wasn't going to satisfy her gnawing hunger or cure her physical exhaustion. She placed her elbow against the window and with one quick movement jabbed her elbow into the glass, shattering it. She waited a beat, listening for an alarm or a big vicious, slobbering dog. Neither came. What kind of people lived in a place like this and didn't bother with security?

But she didn't give it another thought as she climbed up onto the stone sill. She was careful to mind the sharp shards of glass, but as she jumped to the floor her bag caught on the broken pane and she stumbled, grabbing the glass as she tried to steady herself and immediately felt the ripping across her palm. Grimacing and squeezing her hand into a fist, she began to make her way through the room. It was completely dark and she couldn't see a thing. Although she could make out chairs and a table but not much else. Tentatively she made her way to the door, opening it she peered down the long dark hallway and crept out, keeping close to the mahogany panelled walls. Whoever lived here was rich. Big money rich.

She stopped in front of the magnificent old mahogany staircase. Her stomach let out a low growl as she placed a tentative foot on the bottom step and peered up into the dark. Another flash of lightning split the sky outside and lit up the staircase. With one hand on the banister she began to make her way upstairs. She wasn't sure where she was going or even if she was headed the right way, but it wouldn't do any harm to take a look around, her inquisitive nature suddenly taking precedence over her hunger.

The next floor was as huge as the last one, with a myriad of doors and outlets that veered off to what Kennedy presumed were other wings of the house. At the far end of the long hallway, whose carved walls were covered in oil paintings in solid antique brass frames, was another staircase. That one probably lead up to the bedrooms. And the huge, comfy four-poster beds. Door after door, room after room, all lavishly decorated and furnished to the highest quality. In the silence her stomach let out another growl, and it startled her.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Best find the kitchen.

She turned and was about to head back to the staircase, when a door opened and the sound of music filtered down the hallway. Kennedy froze. There was someone home after all.

This is fast turning into the worst day ever.

She was about to make a run for the staircase when the voice called out.

'Hey! Hey, you!'

Without looking back Kennedy sprinted towards the stairs and took them two at a time.

*

Lex had grown bored of the billiards game. Almost ten minutes had passed since he'd called his employee about the blown circuits and there was still no sign of him, he tossed the billiard cue down onto the table sending the balls scattering. The telephone had rang and pointing the remote towards the CD player he turned the music down. Rosenbaum was at the front gates with an electrician and could Lex buzz him in?

He'd gritted his teeth.

Damn buffoon.

'That might be a problem, Tom, seeing as how the security system is down. You remember me telling you that, right?' he'd said with just the right amount of sarcasm.

'Oh, right, yes. Of course,' stammered Rosenbaum. 'Mr. Luthor, sir. Sorry. We'll, uh...how, how will we get in, sir?' he'd asked almost feebly.

Lex let out a long sigh. 'You'll have to climb over the gates. But be careful, I don't want either of you breaking a limb before the damn power is back up and running.' He'd punched call-end, then walked over to the door. Stepping out into the dark hallway he couldn't believe his eyes. There was someone in the house. Right at the opposite end of the hallway.

He called out, but they fled and raced for the stairs. Lex wasn't about to let this one go. After the incident with his car and the pretty little car thief, he really wasn't in the mood to play Mr. Nice-Guy again.

So he picked up his feet and raced after them.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2003