🏹We become the Men we fear

☆Genre: Fluff/Angst
AU: Wild West (pt2 of the previous oneshot)

"You did good." Zander complimented, patting Luke's shoulder. The spurs on the back of his boots clanking as he took a step forward. Luke smiled nervously as he looked down at his hands, holding an expensive bright pearl necklace he kept from their previous robbery. "They were such idiots, I can't believe they fell for it." Zander snickered as he took some money out from his satchel, spreading it in his hands as he quietly counted. "Alright, here's your share." He announced as he separated the money, and handed Luke his share of their earned cash. Just an hour ago, they had robbed a stagecoach, well it was mostly Zander who did the robbing, Luke was simply distracting the people. They had found quite the expensive jewelry and managed to sell it later on. "So, now that we've done this a few times, what do you think?" Zander asked, placing his money into his satchel. "Are you willing to take up my offer?" He tilted his head.

Luke pondered as he shoved the money into his pocket. "Well, we did make a lot of money this past week." He started, observing the wheat field next to them before his gaze landed back on the man in front of him. "This is the most money I've made in my entire life honestly." He stated. Zander nodded. "I've given it some thought, and..I think I'll join you." Luke replied, his eyes practically gleaming. The wind gently caressed his skin. "Really?" Zander smiled, hearing the muffled sound of the wind between the wheat field. "It's a morally questionable job but, it helps you survive." Luke sighed. "We make a good team, I have to admit." Zander stated, chuckling. "I guess we do."

The fire continued to crackle as the sun slowly set. Zander crouched next to the fire, holding a piece of meat on a stick just above it. The meat sizzled as it slowly cooked. "Ah, I'm running low on food." He remarked as he took a bite out of the meat. "I'll have to go hunting later." He said, taking one of the last pieces of meat, he placed it on a small plate, cutting it into multiple pieces with his sharp hunting knife. It looked quite worn out, he should probably get a new one. But no, he's just too busy robbing people isn't he? "You want some? You haven't eaten anything yet." Zander offered as he turned his head to the auburn man next to him. He sat in front of the tree, his hat covering his face as he rested. "Actually..can I have some of the lettuce?" He asked timidly. "What are you? A fuckin' horse?" Zander laughed. "No, I don't think so. I just don't like meat." Luke replied, shrugging as his hat leaned lower down his face. "I'm completely against cruelty to animals." He stated as he lifted his hat and pushed it back on top of his head.

"I feel sick whenever I eat meat." He confessed, a frown making its way onto his face. "Hunting every day and keeping a farm must be a living hell for you, huh?" Zander whispered, slowly getting up as he stood in front of his horse. He rummaged through the bags attached to the leather saddle. "Truly.." The tree's leaves softly rustled as birds flew to their nests high above in the branches. "I have some oatcakes, and some vegetables too." Zander said as he took out an oatcake from one of the bags, swiftly throwing it towards Luke as it landed in his hand. "I can't give you too much now, he needs to eat too." He explained, patting the horse. "I see you guys have the same diet." He chuckled.

In full honesty, Zander didn't mind. He could always rob a general store for some carrots and oatcakes for all he cared. It had been years since he last felt so comfortable with someone. Warmth finally entered his barbaric heart, offering comfort and a sense of relief. "Did you know?" Luke started as he chewed, "Oatcakes have been around since Roman times." He explained as he finished the oatcake. "Huh, I didn't know that.." Zander remarked, listening intently as he pat his horse one last time before sitting down in front of the fire again. "They also originated in Scotland." The auburn man added, Zander handed him yet another oatcake.

___

"I should probably get going." Luke stated, taking the last bite out of his oatcake. Zander nodded, to his dismay he really enjoyed the company and Luke's ramblings about random historical facts. "Ma and Pa will get suspicious." He said, standing up and picking his bag up off the ground. "Until then, we'll be in cahoots¹." Luke neared his horse as he stowed the bag on its back. He turned around to say his goodbyes, though he noticed Zander was smiling. "What are you smiling at?" Luke asked. Zander chuckled as he closed his eyes, "You look stupid with that hat." Luke scoffed as he playfully rolled his eyes, "That hurts my feelings." He joked. Zander only laughed as he turned his head towards the fire. Luke had lost his old hat earlier that day, he was lucky that bullet went through his hat, not his brain. Therefore, he bought quite a tacky one on the side of the road Zander couldn't stop laughing at.
[in cahoots¹: to have a secret collaboration with somebody.]