86. Someone Gatecrashes The War

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Chapter 86

Someone Gatecrashes The War

Third POV

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Theo was back on Fifth Avenue. Annabeth hadn't moved. She didn't give any sign that he'd been gone or anything. She caught Theo staring and frowned. "What?"

"Um . . . nothing, I guess." Theo gazed down the avenue, wondering what Mr. D had meant by nasty surprises. How much worse could it get? His eyes rested on a beat-up blue car. The hood was badly dented as if somebody had tried to hammer out some huge craters. My skin tingled. Why did that car look so familiar?

Then he realised it was a Prius—the same Prius that had been trampled on a couple of days ago. "Percy!" Theo shouted to the Poseidon boy, pointing to the Prius. Almost immediately, Percy's eyes widened, and both of them sprinted down the street.

Annabeth called. "Where are you going?"

Paul was passed out in the driver's seat. Sally was snoring beside him. How had Theo or Percy not seen them before? They'd been sitting here in traffic for over a day, the battle raging around them, and they hadn't even noticed." They . . . they must've seen those blue lights in the sky."

Percy rattled the doors, but they were locked. "I need to get them out."

"Percy," Annabeth said gently.

"I can't leave them here!" he pounded on the windshield. "I have to move them. I have to—"

"Percy, just . . . just hold on."

Annabeth waved to Chiron, who was talking to some centaurs down the block. "We can push the car to a side street, all right? They're going to be fine." Percy's hands trembled as Theo bit his lip anxiously.

Chiron galloped over. "What's. . . Oh dear. I see."

"They were coming to find me," Percy said. "My mom must've sensed something was wrong."

"Most likely," Chiron said. But, Percy, they will be fine. The best thing we can do for them is stay focused on our job." Then Theo noticed something in the backseat of the Prius, and his heart skipped a beat. Seat-belted behind Percy's mother was a black-and-white Greek jar about three feet tall. Its lid was wrapped in a leather harness.