9. Unfortunately I Have to Give Waterland a 1 Star Review

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Chapter 9

Unfortunately I Have to Give Waterland a 1 Star Review

Theo Pov

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

I'd like to think that I thrive in high-pressure situations.

I really do.

Now when the spiders started pouring out of the pipes I simply thought, eh big deal small metallic spiders what are they going to do. I could literally step on them and they'd be done.

It was kinda creepy tho, seeing an army of wind-up creepy-crawlies: bronze-gear bodies, spindly legs, little pincer mouths, all scuttling toward me in a wave of clacking, whirring metal.

But then Annabeth screamed, and I snapped out of my calmness because Annabeth never screamed. She was always the calm one, the level headed one, this was bizarre.

But then I remembered the curse of Arachne how a mortal woman who was good at weaving got turned into a spider for challenging Athena to a weaving contest. Annabeth told me this story after her and her entire cabin almost killed the Stolls for planting rubber spiders in their cabin.

Arachne's children have been taking revenge on the children of Athena ever since. If there's a spider within a mile of an Athena, it'll find them. This is why I believe Annabeth would never visit Australia.

Anyway back to the matter at hand,

"Spiders!" Annabeth said. "Sp—sp—aaaah!"

As I said, I'd never seen her like this before. She fell backward in terror and almost got overwhelmed by the spider robots before I pulled her up and dragged her back toward the boat.

The things were coming out from all around the rim now, millions of them, flooding toward the centre of the pool, completely surrounding us.

I bit my cheek and tried to calm myself down by telling myself they probably weren't programmed to kill, just corral us and bite us and make us look stupid. Then again, this was a trap meant for gods. And we weren't gods.