73. The Red String

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ─────

Chapter 73

The Red String

Annabeth POV

───── ─────

As soon as Chiron had told us that Camp was under attack, there were panicked shouts and maybe even a couple screams from the younger campers. Most senior campers practically launched themselves at the armourer, trying to get weapons.

Not me, though. I carried my dagger everywhere. So I sprinted towards the source of the alarm, weaving through my fellow campers, barely even recognising that Chiron had just galloped past me in his centaur form and his bow and arrow already out.

Behind me, I could hear the footsteps of Tessa and Percy as they tried to keep up with me as we sprinted through the Camp. I was always the fastest runner, except for Theo.

Theo.

Gods, he better be alive, or I'm kicking his ass, I swear. The Athena part of my brain was telling me the only reason I was feeling the way that I do now was because without Theo, there was no chance that we would ever beat Kronos.

But the other part of my brain, the illogical part that had to put up with the Aphrodite Cabin and their plans to get Theo and I together after what happened in the Labyrinth. Told me that there was a more complicated reason as to why I feel the way I do.

Theo was everything to me.

If you told me that a couple years ago, I would've looked at you funny, but now... after everything that's happened, there's nothing more that I want than Theo back with me. I should never have told him that we needed space, especially considering that Theo's space was leave Camp behind and not tell anyone where he was going.

Now, he was gone, maybe for good. I didn't even get to say goodbye.

I shook my head at that thought; there was no time to worry about something that might not even happen, especially when Camp was under attack.

That's when I noticed that Chiron had stopped at the edge of the forest, talking with some wood nymphs; one of them was holding the horn that must have been used to alarm the Camp. Chiron held some binoculars while the wood nymphs kept looking nervously over their shoulders.