31. Annabeth Falls Off A Cliff And 12 Year Olds Show Up

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Chapter 31

Annabeth Falls Off A Cliff And 12 Year Olds Show Up

Percy POV

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

The door led into a dark hallway. I heard sounds of scuffling up ahead, then a painful grunt. I uncapped Riptide. The pen grew in my hands until I held a bronze Greek sword about three feet long with a leather-bound grip.

The blade glowed faintly, casting a golden light on the rows of lockers. I jogged down the corridor, but no one was there when I got to the other end. I opened a door and found myself back in the main entry hall. I was completely turned around.

I didn't see Dr. Thorn anywhere, but the di Angelo kids were on the opposite side of the room. They stood frozen in horror, staring right at me. I advanced slowly, lowering the tip of my sword.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you."

They didn't answer. Their eyes were full of fear. What was wrong with them? Where was Dr. Thorn? Maybe he'd sensed the presence of Riptide and retreated. Monsters hated celestial bronze weapons.

"My name's Percy," I said, trying to keep my voice level. "I'm going to take you out of here, get you somewhere safe." Bianca's eyes widened. Her fists clenched. Only too late did I realize what her look meant. She wasn't afraid of me. She was trying to warn me.

I whirled around, and something went WHIISH! Pain exploded in my shoulder. A force like a huge hand yanked me backward and slammed me to the wall. I slashed with my sword, but there was nothing to hit. A cold laugh echoed through the hall.

"Yes, Perseus Jackson" Dr. Thorn said. His accent mangled the J in my last name. "I know who you are." I tried to free my shoulder. My coat and shirt were pinned to the wall by some kind of spike—a black dagger-like projectile about a foot long. It had grazed the skin of my shoulder as it passed through my clothes, and the cut burned. I'd felt something like this before. Poison.

I forced myself to concentrate. I would not pass out. A dark silhouette now moved toward us. Dr. Thorn stepped into the dim light. He still looked human, but his face was ghoulish. He had perfect white teeth and his brown/blue eyes reflected the light of my sword.